2 speed pump ?

May 10, 2009
I am looking at getting a two speed pump for the electricity savings. Currently I have an older 1hp hayward superpump, sticker says it uses 7.5a. I recently installed a Aqua rite chlorinator.
I am concerned if the 1hp 2 speed pump will give enough flow to operate the SWG? My other option is to buy a more economical motor replacement which is rated at 6.2. Some savings but not as much as the two speed motor.
I also use a kreepy krauly for cleaning, only once a week, this would need to run on the high speed for several hours? Correct
2 speed pump is 3.6 @ 12 hours = 43.2
Energy efficient pump 6.2 @ 8 =49.6
Current pump 7.5 @ 8= 60
2 speed pump would require new timer at $200 P1353
Not sure how much electricity is in my area, AL. But not as high as CA.
Is the two speed pump worth it? Will I be able to use the SWG.
If I have to run the 2 speed pump on high the amp are 8.5 so not worth it to spend $500.
thanks
steve

Whether or not you can use the SWCG on low speed will depend your pool setup.

In my case, my two speed pump does pump enough water on low speed for my AutoPilot to function properly. I run on high speed for 3 hours per day with the booster pump for running the cleaner, then on low for 6 hours for filtering and chlorine generation.

I also use the PE1353 which I love.

dave

There is a link to pump efficiency data in my signature that you may want to look at. Depending on the pump, low speed of a two speed pump will use about 1/4 of the energy of full speed. But you will have to run the pump twice as long so you save about 1/2 of the energy as full speed.

A quick back of the envelope comparison for 1 turnover per day:

SuperPump, 51 GPM @ 1.2 kw, 8 hours/day = 292 kwh/month
Whisperflo (low speed), 35 GPM @ 350 watts, 12 hours/day = 128 kwh/month

At $0.10/kwh it would take 30 months of run time to break even on a $500 pump. The pump should last 10 years so you should come out ahead but it will take a while. If you run for 2 turns a day, payoff is half the time.

BTW 35 GPM should be enough for the SWG but check the specs.

jmas65 said:
Will a two speed pump prime on low? I thought you needed a timer so that it could run on high for priming/skimming before switching to low.

After priming the first time, it shouldn't need to prime on low since a pump shouldn't lose prime between runs. If it does lose prime, then air is leaking into the system somewhere and should be addressed.

stoner51 said:
what kind of high low off switch are you referring to. That would save me 200. I already have a timer.
I believe it is called a single-pole, double-throw, center-off toggle switch. I got my pump supplier to put one on- it's in a standard plastic outdoor box, and goes into where the power cord enters the pump, with the cord extending out of it. You should be able to put it all together for $10 -$20. Make sure the switch is rated for 220v and sufficient amps for your pump motor. The power cord coming out of it then goes into my standard Intermatic timer. Switch stays in the low setting, unless I am vacuuming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Steve,

Sounds like you are trying to setup something like my system. I have an Aquarite and a 2 speed pump as well. I am using a Navigator as opposed to your Kreepy-Krauly, however here's what I did:

I contacted Aquarite and they tell me their chlorinator will work at flows as low as 11 GPM (just make sure that your flow switch is properly plumbed and working). The problem I had at low speed was that it didn't pull enough flow (not enough suction) through my suction cleaner. So I used valve actuators which shut down my second skimmer and some main drain suction so as to keep my vacuum working.

I setup my system to run 1 hour on hi-speed (all valves open) to skim the surface and agitate the water a bit and then 4 hours on low-speed (shut down one skimmer and main drain) and then another hour at hi-speed before shutting down for the day.

I know in theory your system should only need priming once at start-up assuming no leaks. But the way I figure it, if you ever decide to open up and clean your pump basket and introduce air to your system, the 1 hour at start up every day should re-prime your system in case you forget to do it manually. Also, I have a bit of foliage around my pool so I find the 4 hour separation b/w hi-speed cleaning picks up any extra debris that collected throughout the day.

Hope this helps -

stoner51 said:
Funny how they told me the tw3o speed pump would not be enough to operate the SWG. So I ordered a tristar 3/4 hp will see how it does.
steve
To be honest with you I am not surprised. I've heard it said several times on this website, and I am believing it to be true. That is, most pool companies, stores and even builders don't know their profession very well.

When I was thinking about getting an Intelliflow pump for my system, I asked several local pool stores and they "thought" that SWG could not be used at low flows. So I ended up going back to the manufacturer to find out the correct answer. Aquarite said that "of course" their SWG work at low flows.

I have had my water tested at several pool stores and their chemistry tests don't even come out the same at the same store with different people! It's ridiculous.

I find that the people who run this website are much more knowledgeable than most pool companies.

Let us know how it works out for you.
Marc

yeah I find the same. The pool store I use tested my calcium at 160 after adding 50lbs. I tested 270 so we added 25lbs went back and then it tested 150. Thats when I said something. By my test it was 370.
Oh well I was looking at saving some money. I believe my current superpump reads 7.5a, and the new tristar is 5.5 and should pump the same gpm.
On an interesting note I asked them about the tristar equivalent to the intelliflo and they told me that it ran full bore for 8 minutes to prime at start up and I could not use that with my 1.5 in piping.
Go figure, that will certainly hurt their sales if they plan to compete.
steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.