SWG's failing question

AimeeH

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 2, 2012
Columbia SC
Can someone with more experience shed some light on this question. Do SWG's fail slowly over time with diminishing chlorine output or do they just stop producing altogether when they quit? Is there even any rule of thumb on this?

I understood the expected lifespan of 5 plus or minus a year or so (roughly). If "seems" like it isn't producing like it used to, but there are so many variables, like lower CYA etc. And we are approaching the 5 year anniversary of the build and SWG.

I know we have some folks out there who are as OCD about their pools as I am so does anyone ever perform an overnight chlorine gain test on their SWG at different output percentages?

The Intellichlor maintains a constant output by increasing the voltage as needed. If it hits the maximum voltage and still cannot maintain output, it will flash check cell and shut down. As long as there are no error lights, it's probably making at full rate.

The intellichlor, autopilot, aquapure and aquarite will all give some indication if the production rate falls below a minimum. However, if the salt reading is off, that can throw off the system to some degree. I would recommend that anyone with a swg get the Taylor k-1766 salt test to see if their swg is reading the salinity accurately. The intellichlor won't report salt with the regular cell, but it helps to keep the salinity between 3200 and 3600.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.