First pool test after builder handed it off

Jun 10, 2016
Dallas/TX
We just had our pool remodeled. The builder notified me today that I am now in charge of the pool chemistry.

It is 14,000 gallons, pebble sheen, cartridge filter

Here are my first results:
Chlorine 5-10
pH 8.2
FC 10 ppm
CC 1 ppm
TA 180
CYA 55

I know I can use the pool math but I'm wondering if there are any considerations for a fresh pebble sheen plaster I should take into mind?

I see from your other thread that you already have the TF100. Great Job!!
Are you familiar with PoolMath ? This will help you determine how much of which chemical to add. A tutorial for PoolMath is available in Pool School.

pH and TA are a little high. Reduce pH with muriatic acid to 7.4-7.5. This will also reduce the TA a slight bit. pH will tend to rise with fresh plaster (Pebble Sheen), so keep an eye on it and dose accordingly.

CYA - your reading was 55 - always round up, so CYA 60. See the CYA/chlorine chart for the correct minimum and target values.

Did you do a CH test? Please provide that test result also.

On the result of "Chlorine 5-10" - is that from the OTO test (the one that turns yellow)? If so, the test only tops out at 5 for chlorine. The 10 next to it is for bromine, which you don't use. As you can see, the chlorine level is 10 from the FAS-DPD test (the one with the powder).

CC of 1 is a little concerning - suggest you do an OCLT to see how much FC you lose overnight and what the CC is in the morning. Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

I didn't do the CH test because it said it was masonry pools. Is pebble sheen considered masonry? Also, I did the chlorine, pH with the combo kit that came with it, but I guess from your reply that I am only using that kit for the pH side since I'm doing a more sensitive test for the the chlorine with the other test...makes sense.

I'll look up the OCLT and do that test. Thanks for the help! I'm also assuming from your reply that I can just start following the pool math recommendations without any modifications in consideration of the new plaster???

Sure appreciate the help! BTW the Speedstir is AWESOME!!!!

Ok, started the OCLT, this time I took the water from the pool instead of from the spa that pours into the pool and the FC is 11.5, I have not added anything to the pool yet...

CH is 350

- - - Updated - - -

I just got back from measuring the CH, thanks for clarifying that it matters for my pool, I've got much to learn and appreciate all the great help!

Here is a brief set of start up instructions from Pebbletec
Pool Care Instructions Pebble Tec

Register your pool for your warranty here and they will send you a full set of start up instructions
Product Registration Pebble Tec

Your PB should have given you all of this info and start up instructions for the first 30 days. If not then I would report them to Pebbletec because the first 30 days of a plaster pool are the most important. Pebbletec will give you support contacts whom you can discuss this with.

Also note, that the water in Dallas is prone to scaling. I'm sure you've noticed it in showers, coffee pots, etc. To prevent scaling in your pool it is important to maintain your CSI on the negative side -0.3 to 0. Poolmath will calculate your CSI for you after you enter your test results. Adjust PH and TA to change the number. Properly managed water chemistry can add or subtract a decade to your pebblesheen.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

It is important to maintain PH between 7.2 and 7.8 at all times.

Thank you pooldv! The builder handed over the water chemistry to me but we still have a final meeting coming up the end of the week, perhaps he is planning to give us the warranty and instructions at that time but I appreciate you sharing those links!

Here are my OCLT results:
Last night 11.5
This morning 10.5
both samples were taken from the pool, not the spa

What was the CC?

Are you brushing as indicated on the Pebbletec site quoted by pooldv?

Plug all your current numbers into Pol Math and let us know the CSI.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.