Hello from VA Beach, VA

This is our 2nd summer with a pool, and there is a lot that I could learn to keep my pool crystal clear all summer long.

We bought a house last year with an in-ground salt-water pool. About 31,000 gallons and usually not a problem.
Running the pump with chlorinate at 55% for 4 hours a day, usually keeps it clean.

However, last summer and this summer we went out on vacation for about two weeks. Fearing that the heat would evaporate too much water I turned off the schedule on the pool and came back to a bit of green.
Not bad, but not crystal clear either.

After noticing that the pool store "fixes" weren't working as well as I thought, I found this site and decided to give it a try.

I'll be looking at the Pool School posts to learn more, but my first question is regarding the test kits.

Which one should be best for my salt water pool? It seems from reading some posts that FC and CYA are the most important things to measure, but the kits listed usually have very few of those... Are people buying those separate, or just refilling on those particular tests often?

On the SLAM posts it says to test as often as possible, and no less than twice a day, but that means you would be using all of the test for CYA and FC quite soon, is that right or am I missing something?

I hope to learn a lot and enjoy my trouble free pool for years to come!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Both the TF-100 and Taylor K-2006C work well for all the required tests (FC, CC, CYA, pH, TA, and CH), but I recommend the TF-100 (XL Option with Speed Stir). You'll have plenty of reagents for a SLAM and the entire season if not more. It's a quality product and the speed stir is fantastic.

You'll validate CYA first, adjust pH to the low 7s, then increase FC to the appropriate SLAM FC level based on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below) based on the test kit readings. You're making the right decision to order the right kit and take charge of your pool. :goodjob:

I went ahead an ordered exactly what you recommended yesterday: TF-100 + XL option + Speed Stir. Hopefully it will get here soon so I can start taking care of the pool myself.

Since low levels of FC (or more than 1ppm loss during the night) means that there are algae or bacteria in the water. Is is still safe to swim in it, or is it better to fully complete the SLAM process (however long that takes) and then get back in? July 4th coming up, but not sure if it is safe while SLAMming.

Thanks!
Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Both the TF-100 and Taylor K-2006C work well for all the required tests (FC, CC, CYA, pH, TA, and CH), but I recommend the TF-100 (XL Option with Speed Stir). You'll have plenty of reagents for a SLAM and the entire season if not more. It's a quality product and the speed stir is fantastic.

You'll validate CYA first, adjust pH to the low 7s, then increase FC to the appropriate SLAM FC level based on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below) based on the test kit readings. You're making the right decision to order the right kit and take charge of your pool. :goodjob:

I went ahead an ordered exactly what you recommended yesterday: TF-100 + XL option + Speed Stir.
Once you start testing, you'll wonder how you ever managed without that stuff. :goodjob:
We can swim during a SLAM, we just need to ensure that our FC level does not exceed our assigned SLAM for that CYA as noted on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). For example, if your pool CYA is 30, your SLAM FC is 12, so can swim up an FC of 12. The trick now is sitting on pins & needles waiting for that kit to arrives so you can confirm those two items. :)

Awesome.
Thanks for the quick response.

As a quick update. I haven't receive the tests yet, but I run the Super Chlorinator on my pool for 14 hours yesterday and the water looks much clearer now.
Of course, without the actual test it might just be a temporary improvement and will need to confirm, but we seem to be moving forward.

You still need to SLAM correct? If so, don't raise CYA yet. Leave it at lets say 50 and make your SLAM FC "20". Don't forget though, lower pH to about 7.2 BEFORE starting the SLAM and raising FC. After the SLAM passes, then you'll increase CYA for your SWG to 70.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're not sure if you need to SLAM, at least do an overnight (OCLT) test to see. Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)