2 Speed Pump Shuts Off On High

neogeo

Jun 27, 2016
Miami, FL
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I want to say that I have followed TFP since the day I moved into my house about a year ago. Thanks to you guys, my pool has not been green since then.

My 2 speed pump was running on a timer starting in the morning on high for about an hour, then low, then on high from 6-8pm, then on low until the cycle repeated in the morning. Lately, the pool only runs on low continuously and works well. The problem is when I switch it to high where it only runs for about ten minutes and then it shuts off. As soon as I flip the switch to the low speed, the pool pump works well, but as soon as I switch it back to high, the high speed doesn't work. If I were to wait about 15 minutes, then the high speed works again for a few more minutes but then the same problem reoccurs. I have read some posts where it may be a faulty temperature switch or perhaps the bearings are bad. I don't know when the pump was installed or how old it is.

In any event, I am not so handy when it comes to taking apart electric motors and repairing them, so if someone can recommend a trusted pool pump tech or store in Miami that can help me out, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Could be an obstruction in the impeller or perhaps the bearings are starting to go. Usually when a motor shuts off after a few minutes of running there is a large load causing excess power draw.

Since the impeller is a little easier to check, I would do that first to rule it out. Remove the pump basket and reach into the impeller inlet and see if there is anything stuck in there.

Is the pump a little louder than normal on high speed?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I want to say that I have followed TFP since the day I moved into my house about a year ago. Thanks to you guys, my pool has not been green since then.

My 2 speed pump was running on a timer starting in the morning on high for about an hour, then low, then on high from 6-8pm, then on low until the cycle repeated in the morning. Lately, the pool only runs on low continuously and works well. The problem is when I switch it to high where it only runs for about ten minutes and then it shuts off. As soon as I flip the switch to the low speed, the pool pump works well, but as soon as I switch it back to high, the high speed doesn't work. If I were to wait about 15 minutes, then the high speed works again for a few more minutes but then the same problem reoccurs. I have read some posts where it may be a faulty temperature switch or perhaps the bearings are bad. I don't know when the pump was installed or how old it is.

In any event, I am not so handy when it comes to taking apart electric motors and repairing them, so if someone can recommend a trusted pool pump tech or store in Miami that can help me out, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Neo

I had the same issue. The windings in my high speed went out. It ended up messing ups one of the internals of the pump. My low speed would still work without shutting it off. I ended up replacing the whole pump (which I was planning on doing anyway) with a variable speed because I have some major rebates here from electric company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.