Liquid Chlorine. Bleach, chlorinating liquid and cyuranic acid

May 27, 2014
Mount Airy, MD
So when opening the pool, I use bleach and chlorinating tabs - to keep the level of cyuranic acid in check.

This year, Walmart had Pool Essentials Chlorinating liquid... which they had for $2.50 a bottle (10%). Which is great where I live. Ace sell that same size
bottle for $4 , and I usually buy 8.25% bleach for $3 a bottle. But then my cyruanic acid went up faster than I expected. I reached where I wanted it to be
fast, so I suspected there was some in the Pool Essentials liquid.

I sent an email, which was no answered in two days, so I called. There person on the phone told me there was. So I took all the bottles
I bought back to Walmart, and bought bleach. Then a week later, I get an email telling me there is not cyuranic acid, but I bet they do- to help keep the sodium
hypochlorite stable at 10%.

I replied to the question asking why I get 2 different answers, how do they keep it stable, and can I have a copy of the MSDS.
I expect at least another week. or more, before I get an answer this time.

But in the meantime, I was wondering if anybody else in the forums knows?
If it does not, I have not clue how my cyuranic acid reached the level I keep it at so fast. And if anything on the high side. I'm just glad I caught it before it went over what I wanted.

Before using bleach, I'd be caught in a position of need to drain water...

Thanks,
Dayna

Dayna:

I do not believe the: Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid - Walmart.com, that you purchased at Wal-Mart has stabilizer in it. It is straight 10% bleach. How were you using the chlorinating tabs & how many did you use? How big is your pool? What were your test results before, after and what are you using to test with? If indeed your CYA is too high, it came from the 3" chlorinating tabs and not the liquid bleach. Some shock has stabilizer in it, but most shock at Wal-Mart that I have seen has calcium in it.

Please add your signature and provide us a little more information, including a full set of test results. Also, have you read through the material in "Pool School"? Thanks and Welcome to the Forum!

There is most certainly no CYA in the liquid chlorine.

What was your CYA before and how many tablets have you used?

Also, CYA would not keep the FC "stable" in the bottles. CYA is used to protect the FC from being broken down by the sun as well as buffer the strength of the HOCl in the water.

Sigh, I always thought our pool was more, but I keep calculating about 13000 gal.
We have a Hayward s244t sand filter, and a jacuzzi magnum force pump with a 1 hp motor.

I think the problem is I thought I checked the the CYA when we started, but maybe I had a brain issue and took it for it's normal 0 at the beginning of the year.
(Whether bacteria or what, the CYA is usually 0 at the beginning of the year. It was actually CYA issues that led me to follow the pool school forum years ago.)

But YEAH. IF it was me that was the problem, I can go back to the Liquid Chlorine from Walmart... This is the first year that Walmart near us has stocked it.
I hope they keep doing it. At $2.50 a bottle. (128 oz).. 10%.

Anybody in MD get liquid chlorine cheaper?

Thanks,
Dayna

Sigh, I always thought our pool was more, but I keep calculating about 13000 gal.
We have a Hayward s244t sand filter, and a jacuzzi magnum force pump with a 1 hp motor.

I think the problem is I thought I checked the the CYA when we started, but maybe I had a brain issue and took it for it's normal 0 at the beginning of the year.
(Whether bacteria or what, the CYA is usually 0 at the beginning of the year. It was actually CYA issues that led me to follow the pool school forum years ago.)

But YEAH. IF it was me that was the problem, I can go back to the Liquid Chlorine from Walmart... This is the first year that Walmart near us has stocked it.
I hope they keep doing it. At $2.50 a bottle. (128 oz).. 10%.

Anybody in MD get liquid chlorine cheaper?

Thanks,
Dayna

you are right down the road from me... well 70 anyways. Wal mart and Ollies have the best deals on it. check the dates... on the side of the bottles though...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.