Pool Size

Jun 17, 2016
Rolla, MO
I bought my house last year and they left some information on the pool but nothing about how big it is, mostly just information on the pump and filter. It is an above ground pool and I counted the pillars around the outside and estimated it to be 24ft but paced off the pool while in it last week to be roughly 27ft or so since I wear a size 12 shoe. I ask this because the print out from when my pool store would test in the past said the pool holds 15,300 which I think they got that from the previous owner of my house/pool. I think it is anywhere from 48 to 50 inches tall or to where the water level is. To the very top could be more, 52 to 54?

How should I go about measuring the size of it? Good old fashion tape measure?

How should I go about measuring the size of it? Good old fashion tape measure?

Yes, pool math and a good measuring tape. You can try both methods. Hopefully, you have one of the recommended test kits.

If so, you could test the water right as the sun goes down. Then add a gallon of bleach. Then test again at the 1 hour mark, 2 hour mark and 3 hour mark. This will ensure that the bleach is mixed thoroughly. Go to pool match and keep plugging in the numbers to figure out what size your pool is. Put in the before and after figures and what you think your pool is. The amount of bleach should match (within a few ounces).

Most people that I have helped believed their pool is actually larger than it really is. A few of my friends, who now own a TF-100 test kit were putting chemicals in their pool based on a larger volume, which eventually messed things up. No more pool stores for them.

I agree with Jblizzle, although my free form pool was tricky and had no other choice. Used very fresh bleach that was delivered and stamped within days of testing. The pool company gave me 3 different pool measurements that ranged from 17K-19K in gallons. I should have called the water company to get meter readings, probably would have been easier as the pool was being filled up (too late now). Keep us posted!

If the bleach was that fresh, it was most certainly stronger than the label indicated.

The volume really does not matter too much. Make a rough guess and if you are consistently missing your targets for all chemicals, then adjust your volume.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.