Took off cover and found a green mess

May 24, 2009
Harrisburg, NC
I have been searching the web since yesterday and found your site today. We removed our cover two days ago and found green algae mess. I did not add any chemicals and vaccumed the pool to waste.
Yesterday, I took a sample to the pool place and the results are:
pH: 7.6
TA: 130
CYA: 40
TH: 150
TDS: 300
TC/FC: 0
They told me that everything looked good and to put in 4lbs of shock that evening and 1 qt of algaecide this morning. I put in the 4 lbs of shock and within an hour still no FC, so I continued to put in 2 lbs every hour until I put in 10 lbs. Still no reading. This morning, I could see the bottom (water still pale green) but the sides and spots on the bottom have algae. I brushed the pool, added the algaecide and put in a frog bac.
Tonight, I still don't have a FC reading and the above results seemed to stayed the same (using 6 way test strips), so I found your site tonight about using household bleach since I have already gone through the chemicals I bought yesterday. I had 2-96 oz. jugs of bleach which I poured around the pool, but I didn't know how much more I should add. From what I've read, I know that you need to have time to dedicate and since I am off tomorrow I thought I better get some information if possible. Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to TFP!

You need to continue shocking the pool, which means continuing to add chlorine until the FC level stays at shock level, an FC of 15 given your CYA level, overnight. You might want to read How To Shock Your Pool in our Pool School.

Thank you for your quick response. I have read almost everything on your site about algae! I do not have anymore chlorine and will buy some tomorrow. I know that it is not optimal to add during the day, but I want to try and get the upper hand on it while I am off. I know in one of the threads I was reading, it was highly suggested to order a TF test kit so you can get accurate readings. Until I can get a test kit, would it be better to use the 6 way test strips, a HTH test kit (that I've had for 3 years so I don't know if is expired) or take a sample to the pool store? Thanks so much and I will definitely try to keep POP that everyone talks about!

the HTH kit that you have will give you total Cl only and is not helpful for levels above 5. For now it should suffice.

Just keep some chlorine in the pool, run the filter 24 hrs.

The kits come very fast...so you will be okay for a few days.

Thank you so much for your responses and for this wonderful website. My pool is now sparkling clean, but I do have a few maintenance questions. I have spent several hours reading and I really should be taking notes so I can refer back to them. :)
After reading about the pool frog, I will no longer be using it but how do I keep my "normal" level of chlorine in the pool. Does this mean I check the level every evening and add the chlorine needed. Also the traditional way was to shock once a week, I usually did this on Sunday evening with bags of shock. Should I still do this but with the shock level of liquid chlorine?
I received my TF-100 kit today (and love it) and here are the results:
CYA 35
FC .5
pH 7.2
TA 145
I have added bleach to raise the FC to the normal level, but the TA is high. Can I just aerate the pool and it will bring it down since my pH is low? Is there anything else I need to do?
Then the last question I have is the pool store's reading of Total Hardness was 150 which they tell me is low and they sold me two 10lb buckets of calcium plus, should I add the 17 lbs they suggested?
Thank you guys so much and I hope one day to be have a quarter of the knowledge that you guys do!!!

totebagg said:
but how do I keep my "normal" level of chlorine in the pool. Does this mean I check the level every evening and add the chlorine needed. Also the traditional way was to shock once a week, I usually did this on Sunday evening with bags of shock. Should I still do this but with the shock level of liquid chlorine?

Add your chlorine in the evening....I do not super-chlorinate my pool unless I have CC present

totebagg said:
CYA 35
FC .5
pH 7.2
TA 145
I have added bleach to raise the FC to the normal level, but the TA is high. Can I just aerate the pool and it will bring it down since my pH is low? Is there anything else I need to do?

I would not do anything here just yet...see what happens over the next few days...I suspect with a TA of 140 that your pH will constantly drift upward forcing you to lower your TA...but others may have different advise

totebagg said:
Then the last question I have is the pool store's reading of Total Hardness was 150 which they tell me is low and they sold me two 10lb buckets of calcium plus, should I add the 17 lbs they suggested?
Thank you guys so much and I hope one day to be have a quarter of the knowledge that you guys do!!!

You have a vinyl liner and do not need to worry about Calcium levels...see if they will let you return it... :goodjob:

You are on the right path...

totebagg said:
Thank you so much for your responses and for this wonderful website. My pool is now sparkling clean, but I do have a few maintenance questions. I have spent several hours reading and I really should be taking notes so I can refer back to them. :)
After reading about the pool frog, I will no longer be using it but how do I keep my "normal" level of chlorine in the pool. Does this mean I check the level every evening and add the chlorine needed. Also the traditional way was to shock once a week, I usually did this on Sunday evening with bags of shock. Should I still do this but with the shock level of liquid chlorine?
CYA 35
FC .5
pH 7.2
TA 145

Yes, you'll need to manually add bleach every evening to maintain your normal FC levels, unless you decide to go either the Liquidator or SWCG route. Most folks on here say it takes about five minutes, tops.

Shocking - the nice thing about properly maintaining your pool is, you only shock when your CC is over .5 or so or if the water starts looking dull, so no need for weekly shocking. I think I shocked my pool maybe twice last year?

Aeration will not lower your TA. Aeration will cause your pH to rise while your TA stays at the same level it was. For right now, I'd leave your TA alone and monitor your pH. If your pH starts creeping up time and time again, then I'd worry about lowering your TA, and we can address that then.

Vinyl-lined pools don't require CH, so I'd take those two ten lb buckets of calcium plus back and ask for a refund. If your CH is indeed at 150 that's not going to hurt anything, but you don't want to increase it any more. If they want to argue with you, ask them just exactly what it's needed for in a vinyl lined pool, and see what their answer is. :wink:

ETA : yeah, what ideliver said! :lol:

Ditto the above advice :goodjob:

Just so you know - when I had the frog, I loved the convenience of it. When I switched to BBB at first I was like "Oh, man what a pain having to test and add bleach every nite." Funny thing is I spend so much less time on my pool now, than I did with Froggy and all the problems it caused. It really averages out to 5 minutes a day. Sometimes though it's more, but that's by choice.

Ditto on the shocking - I shocked twice last year - once before I went on vacation, and then to close the pool. :goodjob: If you maintain the minimum FC level at all times, you should not ever have to shock. You're water will indicate it - if you notice it looks dull or cloudy or spot any algae, if your FC isn't holding overnight, if your CC goes above .5. But like I said, if you maintain adequate FC according to the CYA chart - that should never happen. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's me again. I am having trouble keeping my chlorine to hold during the day. We add chlorine at night to bring it in range which is 3-4 and in the morning it is the same, but when I get home in the evening I have none. We are repeating this cycle every evening. I know that sunlight dissipates the chlorine, but will it really take it all? I know the CYA plays a big role in your chlorine, so I tested with my kit and also took a sample to the local pool store which uses the pinpoint system. My reading on CYA was 35 and theirs was 42. The other readings are posted above in the May 30th positing and they are very similar to the pool store. They told me to increase my CYA, but in all my reading on this website it looks as if my CYA is in the correct range.

If this is normal, then at least I know. But if not, any advice would be appreciated. The condition of the water looks perfect - it is clear and sparkling!

Also, about every 2-3 days I notice dirt gathered in the direct center of my pool. Of course I vacuum it up, but thought maybe I don't have my return position correctly. Thanks so much.

Sounds like you're almost there. :goodjob:

(Dirt in the center- that's good, only have to vacume in one spot :wink: )

So if your Minimum FC level is 3, each night add enough bleach to reach 6 or 7. If your pool is uncovered and/or you have a high bather load, then you will use more FC during the day (then I would for example, as I have a light bather load and my pool stays covered, so normally lose a little less than 1 FC per day - more if we swim, or leave the solar cover off).

So it sounds to me like you just need to add a little more each night than what you are adding. Remember you have 3 levels, your "min-3" your "target-7" and your "shock-14". So aim for your "target" and it will keep you above the "min". If you are having a pool party, add 1-2 ppm extra above your target in advance of all the swimmers.

Also if you decide to bump your CYA up to 50 you may see a greater UV protection benefit then at 35. (Trust your own readings....) Right now your loss sounds normal, but I think you will see less at 50. Makes sense?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.