Preparing to remove a pool - in ground vinyl

Jun 1, 2015
Frederick, MD
Hi all. Well, we've decided that it's time to remove the pool. It's just not cost effective to keep it and after much deliberation, we landed here. While we plan out the best way to remove it and coordinate with the excavators, what should I do with the pool? The pump is dead, so it's just going to collect bugs, frogs, algae, etc, and it will be several weeks before any movement is made on removal. And I have two small kids so I also need to keep in mind safety.

Here are the options that I see:
1) Leave water level as-is, replace the winter cover
2) Drain water level, replace winter cover
3) Drain water level, no cover

You don't think your kids would enjoy a pool? How expensive was it for you? My pool probably costs less than $100 per year to maintain.

It makes me sad to think of removing a pool...we enjoy ours so, and with my new bionic knees it helps me with my rehab. More reasons to keep the pool than not. :-:)cry:

Thanks for the concerns, all. I have gotten about 8 bids for pool removal and spent most of last year researching options and planning it out. The long and short of it is the previous owners who put in the pool made several mistakes and the pool contractor didn't build it properly, so to keep the pool will just be way out of our budget. This year, we need a new pump to even get the pool started so we made the tough choice. We've tried to make it work for 5 years, and based on what I've learned on this site, was able to run the pool efficiently. But to fix the drainage issues, failing pool components, and our lack of time to actually use the pool, it's actually cheaper to remove it than to fix everything.

So, any ideas on what I should do between now and the time I have it removed? Is putting the winter cover back on just going to lead to more problems?

If you know for sure you're taking it out, I would drain the pool entirely using a submersible pump with the winter cover over the top for safety. The reasons to keep the pool full are to support the wall structure and prevent the pool from "popping" out of the ground or walls collapsing. You're trying to do that anyway so no reason not to drain it. Less of a mosquito breeding ground then as well. You MUST keep it covered for safety.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.