CYA Target Higher in SWG Pool

Lawtyger

Mar 11, 2016
Tampa, Florida
The ABC's of pool chemistry section on CYA states:

"CYA - Cyanuric Acid

CYA level so you can figure out what FC level to aim for. If you don't have a SWG, CYA is typically kept between 30 and 50. If you have a SWG, CYA is typically kept between 70 and 80."

My pool surface is Pebble Sheen and gets fully sunlight all day. I am currently in the process of getting my CYA up from 10 (used the sock method which seems easier).

My pool builder previously said a CYA range for my pool was 30 to 50 ppm. I'd say what the "pool store" previously said but I'm ignoring advice from pool stores from now on.

TFP states pools with SWG are "typically" between 70 and 80. Since that number is quite a bit higher than my pool builder previously stated I was hoping someone could explain why it is higher for SWG pools.

Does the pool surface being Pebble Sheen change the 70 to 80 TFP recommendation?

BTW - I read the Water Balance for SWG information as well. One thing I keep noticing is recommendations usually talk about (1) Plaster, (2) Vinyl or (3) Fiberglass. Where does Pebble Tec fall? Is it just considered plaster?

eee1f7e2284da4f97782f13d5a050f78.jpg

Pool surface is irrelevant when we talk about CYA and SWGs. You absolutely need higher CYA levels with SWGs as they produce lower levels of chlorine over longer periods of time than direct chlorination methods (liquid chlorine or stabilized solid chlorine). With higher CYA levels, your daily FC loss is lower which means your SWG had to run less each day to replace what is lost. This directly translates into longer SWG life.

If you want to experiment, simply try to run your SWG pool at 30-50ppm CYA. You will see that you will need to run your SWG and pumps for long periods of time and may not be able to achieve the FC you want. Then, increase your CYA to 80ppm and see what effects it has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.