Techno-Solis, Powerstrips, flat roof, install, Enersol, black particles

pmcd

May 31, 2013
Toronto, Canada
We currently have 8 1x20 Enersol EPDM panels on a (totally) flat roof. They have worked great for 8 of 10 years and enabled use of our 256 sqft pool from mid April to mid October using a heat pump as a backup heat source. Unfortunately, the panels started to leech black particles around two years ago, especially when opening the pool. This is, apparently, one negative of synthetic rubber panels. Has anyone else experienced this and managed a fix? Assuming there is no fix I have to replace them. I have been looking at fixed panels from Techno-Solis and a product called Powerstrips. Pricing is roughly the same so that is not an issue.

- the powerstrips come in 8 1x20' just like my Enersol panels but hooking them up to the header and footer using glue seems tricky and then you have to join the 1 foot headers together. Has anyone replaced Enersol panels with these? Any install advice?

- the Techno-Solis come in fixed sizes, there are local installers but I worry about the freeze issue on a flat roof. Putting them at an elevated angle using a frame may not be an issue due to raccoons.

Am at a bit of a loss in deciding. Any thoughts, advice, etc...?

Thanks,

Philip

sorry no one has been able to help, I have heard of that type rubber disintegrating over time..

H2otsun is a a great resource for solar :)

I did call Enersol. They won't acknowledge that their panels are the problem. They suggested buying and using AquaFinesse. Tried it but the black dust issue just got worse even though AquaFinesse seems to be a neat, though expensive, product. We did not have the black pool problem for years. Most solar companies I have contacted seem to be aware of the problems of epdm and chlorinated pool water. The panels break down after a while. Enersol is a large company with a lot of customers. Perhaps it's a rare problem. Don't know but I am not willing to risk it anymore. We have a heat pump so I guess it's come down to how seriously I want to stay with solar. H2sun is indeed an interesting resource and Powerstrips seem to give you the benefits of EPDM rubber without the black pool problem.

The solar warranties are really questionable. Do they cover shipping the new panels, installation, roof problems, pool problems, etc...? Most do not and are prorated . You really need to read them carefully.

I don't know what to make of all this. My confidence in solar has taken a big hit. In addition, I have spend an enormous amount of time cleaning out the black dust particles. They are definitely not "green" and have permanently stained my liner.

Sent from my Fire HDX.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.