Frustrated with cloudy water

Jun 27, 2016
Centerburg, OH
I just found this forum today and after lots of reading, I am going to do a SLAM on my pool. I ordered the TF-100 test kit and hope it will be here in a few days.

So here is the story so far. Last year in very early September I had our 5th child. Needless to say the pool got away from me and it was greenish when we closed it. We didn't get a chance to put our winter cover on and by the time we opened it this year it was a green swamp. I have been trying to clear it up for the last 4 weeks with multiple trips to the pool store. I have read through all the posts here today, from the pool school chemicals to the SLAM process and I plan to slam this weekend if I get my kit in time. I have a picture from Friday, but as of yesterday it was more gray than green.

My question is should I go ahead and add a gallon of bleach every day until my test kit arrives?

I am in Central Ohio and my water temp is about 76-78 with an outside temp of 90 today. I think I have all the information in my signature, let me know if you need anything else.

Oh and we got a bunch of rain in the last week. I have vacuumed to waste all of the debris out and brushed it yesterday and vacuumed all over.

IMG_20160618_103522936.jpg

My question is should I go ahead and add a gallon of bleach every day until my test kit arrives?
Yes! That was easy. :)

Once your kit arrives this will all make much more sense and you can move-forward with your SLAM. Good job ordering the TF-100, and nice to have you with us at TFP.

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure the bleach is regular/plain and not any of that splashes or scented stuff.

So I got my test kit and did my first one tonight. I am not 100% confident I did it all right but here is what I got
FC-5
CC-2
CH-300
pH-7.2
TA-120
CYA-20* I got to the top of the tube and could still see the black dot. I added stabilizer last weekend (before I found this site) and added it directly to the skimmer. I let the pump run 24/7 and only backwashed last night. Do you think there is still some stabilizer in there that needs to dissolve or should I go ahead and add some?

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm pretty sure I need to add stabilizer, do I just get it from the pool store? I know I need to add it in a sock in front of my return line to get it to dissolve. How long does it take to raise the CYA? I assume I can't start my slam yet?

You can start your SLAM. Check out this link which has very detailed chlorine/CYA targets. Chlorine/CYA Chart

Once you add CYA and it dissolves, assume it's there. Honestly, I have found the stabilizer (CYA) that Walmart is selling this year dissolves better than the HTH from previous years. Check your PH before and get it to about 7.2. You didn't post your PH.

Add the CYA in the right dose and SLAM away.

I edited and added my pH. So you're saying go ahead and start my slam now and I can get the stabilizer tomorrow? I don't have a Wal-mart near me but I do have a pool store and a Meijer.
Thanks for the quick reply!

- - - Updated - - -

So I read the chlorine/CYA chart you linked to and I feel like this stuff is getting too complicated. The test is complicated and I just don't understand that chart. I am reasonably intelligent but this stuff is a little intimidating.

No worries. For now, if we assume your CYA is at least 20, your SLAM FC level should be "10". SO as long as your pH is already between 7.2-7.4, you can increase the FC to 10 and you are in SLAM mode. You can test CYA tomorrow again if needed and/or increase by 10 ppm to try and rise to a target of 30.
Proper lighting is important for the CYA test. You want to test for CYA outside on a sunny day, but keep the skinny view tube in the shade. Taylor recommends standing in the sun with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/gently mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then gently mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

If you still have questions, let us know. We'll be glad to help.

So I added the 127oz of bleach last night and then tested this morning. My FC was down to 2 so I added more, I think it was 182oz this time. I can't test again until I get home from work about 6pm tonight. I will do that and add more as needed. I will test everything tonight and post the results.

Here are my numbers tonight after work
FC-3.5
CC-2.5
CH-225
TA-100
CYA-20* again the dot was still visible with the tube filled to the top
pH-7.2

So I'm going to add enough stabilizer to try and get it up to 30 and I added enough bleach to get it back up to SLAM level. Is this good for now?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, exactly. The fact that your FC dropped and CC increased would appear a lot of organic material has been neutralized and awaiting oxidation. But there's more to do. Hopefully there will be a day or two where your schedule permits you to watch the FC a little closer (maintain that FC of 12) so it can't drop all day. Tough I know, but the best way to SLAM. All in good time. Hang in there.

That is the plan starting on Saturday, I plan to test every couple of hours so I can stay on top of it. I will be home the whole weekend including Monday so I hope to be able to really make some good progress this weekend. I even had my daughter just dump a jug of bleach in around noon knowing it was going to drop and hoping to not loose any progress I made.

Its been 2 hours so I went ahead and retested my FC and CYA. My question is do I need to do all of the test each time when I am slamming or can the CH and TA be done once a day or so?
FC-9
CC-2.5
CYA- Made progress, the dot disappeared just before I got to 20 on the tube. Over half of the stabilizer I put in has dissolved so I hope by morning for the CYA to be closer to 30.

Thanks so much for the help so far!

During SLAM......focus on FC and CC nothing else.........since your adding CYA though you might want to test for that once a day? Or less if you can clearly see it isn't dissolved yet.

CYA isn't consumed by anything. The only thing that really makes it go away is water exchange. So once you hit your target, you don't really need to bother testing a lot. It's kind of subjective as far has how often to test. If I know I'm at my target, I might check after about 3 weeks but if I've drained a lot due to rain, I'll check that week.

Thought I'd add that explanation as you are trying to absorb new information.

So this morning before I left for work I tested again and here is what I got.
FC-8
CC-2
CYA-30 at least I got it up finally. There was still q little to be dissolved in the sock so I just left it in.
I added more bleach to get it up to 12 and then had to leave. I will check it when I get home tonight from work. Hoping to make big progress this weekend.

Sounds like you're doing everything right! Best wishes for a successful SLAM :)

If you have time this weekend while watching your FC, brush with all your might. It really does help.

Good luck and hang in there! As you get used to the procedures, it gets so much easier, I promise. ♥

I plan on using the vacuum and brushing as much as possible. If the FC gets down below slam level can I get in to brush it? It's so much easier that way than trying to do it from outside the pool since I don't have a deck around it yet.
Got home from work and my numbers were as follows
FC-6
CC-2.5
Going to some fireworks and will check it again when I get home.
Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement. MY husband wants immediate results but I hope to convert him once this works.

Absolutely! You can get in the water all you want as long as your FC does not exceed your SLAM level based on that CYA as noted on the Chlonre/CYA Chart (link below). So if your CYA is 30, then you can go in the water as long as your FC does not exceed 12. Enjoy!

Thanks again for all the help, I think I'm getting the hang of all the testing. My husband keeps insisting it was never this hard before or took so long to clear it up. I hope he will change his tune once I get it clear and can keep it that way easily.
Starting taking readings at 9am and hope to keep on it hourly today.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.