Greenhouse effect?

Sep 22, 2014
San Ramon, CA. 94582
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
For those of you who have an automatic pool cover (mine is from PoolCoversInc), have you heard of the Green House effect?

A pool service guy (used by my pool builder) said that if the pool cover was to remain closed for about a week (7 days when on vacation) and the temperature is above the 80's and 90's, there will be this greenhouse effect where all the gasses are trapped under the cover and will cause algae bloom - even when FC and pH are within the suggested ppm levels (FC will be coming from Trichlor tablets and pH stays between 7.2 ppm to 7.8 ppm within a week).

In the past 2 years when we went on vacation for about 4 to 5 days, the cover was closed and did not get algae. We will be going for 7 days this time, two more days, and would like to know if there is something I need to know and do something about.

Always a good idea to uncover a pool every so often. The water likes to breathe.

Rather than worry about a "greenhouse affect" just remember that UV light is important to diminish CC's in your pool and the more you keep it covered, the more cc's you accumulate.......that's bad.

Can you leave it covered for 7 days? I think so but you just never know.

Always a good idea to uncover a pool every so often. The water likes to breathe.

Rather than worry about a "greenhouse affect" just remember that UV light is important to diminish CC's in your pool and the more you keep it covered, the more cc's you accumulate.......that's bad.

Can you leave it covered for 7 days? I think so but you just never know.

I think that if the pool service guy will come in the third and the sixth day to check on the FC and pH, he would have to open the cover for maybe about 15 minutes each time. Would you think that would be enough to release the accumulated CC's and other gases?

- - - Updated - - -

Simply not true. If FC is maintained properly, you will not get algae. CC may build up as the pool is not being exposed to UV light to help burn them off but just the pool being covered will not cause algae.

Greenhouse effect is a real thing, but has nothing to do with pools or algae.

The Greenhouse Effect | A Student's Guide to Global Climate Change | US EPA

Got it, thanks! I just now have to be concerned with the CC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.