Replacing pump motor and seal. Questions

KennyFlaming

Bronze Supporter
Apr 15, 2016
Erath, LA
My pump motor has been sounding pretty bad for a while, I got some advice and I have its replacement on hand as well as a new pump seal and I am bout to tackle the job (watched a few you tubes regarding replacing seal!)

Here is my questions(s) before I start:
1) would a motor going out greatly reduce water output from jets?
2) if output is reduced would that be the cause of a sudden algae (green) outbreak on my liner?

I've been running it 12+ hrs a day (usually overnight) for the last several days. Which is longer than I normally ran it last year, I did this because I knew I had the new motor on hand and wasn't afraid that I needed to "baby" it.

Thanjs for for your help !

1) No. They don't slow down without overheating and shutting off.

2) No but the algae could be what is causing the problem. If you have live algae growing in the pool, it will quickly clog your filter slowing down the flow rate.

Post your test results and you may want to do an OCLT (see pool school).

I did find a piece of plastic in the diffuser I think. Tha plastic looked like it came from an old basket screen. It was small and could have limited some water but I don't think it would cause such a decrease in output that I have noticed increasing this year. It seems that the output decrease is the same as noise increase in motor???

Another thisnk i noticed was the was the power connectors on the back of motor just slipped out of the "Crimp-on" style connectors, could this cause a loss or power going to motor and thus a loss of pump output??? Just trying to figure out why output has been low- maybe grasping at straws

I've gotten all taken apart now (cooling off from this heat) and about to put it back together.

:goodpost:

Even with reduced circulation it's the FC level that prevents algae from forming. The FC needed to drop to allow the algae to start and poor circulation doesn't help but isn't the cause.

If there is something stuck in the impeller, that would reduce flow rate. Is the filter pressure higher or lower than normal?

If there is something stuck in the impeller, that would reduce flow rate. Is the filter pressure higher or lower than normal?
I don't have a gauge in the filter, I have it but haven't installed it- that's the next project- which leads me to a question I was going to ask when I did that but I'll ask it now instead.

On on top of the filter housing where the gauge should go there is some sort of plug- it does leak some water/air from that plug. How do I remove the plug ( is it threaded etc?) and does the pressure gauge screw into it or not?

Another thisnk i noticed was the was the power connectors on the back of motor just slipped out of the "Crimp-on" style connectors, could this cause a loss or power going to motor and thus a loss of pump output??? Just trying to figure out why output has been low- maybe grasping at straws

Electrical connections need to be clean and tight, so the wires slipping out of crimped connectors could be an issue. Are they fork or ring terminals?Kgrppn-fo.jpgThat's a fork terminal, ring doesn't have the split in the end. If your wiring goes into those then get terminated under screws, you could have issues. You can recrimp them with inexpensive crimper tool, or in a pinch, a pair of pliers. Or you can just remove the fork/ring and the wire should be able to be terminated at the motor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WHEW!

I got the new o-ring Wednesday put it together and I am now pumping water! I took teh time to clean my 3-stage media filter Which was pretty clogged with parts from these black bugs that have been a nuisance the last few weeks. They come in at night and lad in pool and die. No idea what they are but the have a hard outer shell that gets in the skinner basket as well as pump basket.

But now i am pumping good, and my algae is gone jus in time for Independence day.

I do have a slight leak, which i believe is due to having to use the old pump seals but I have new pump seals on hand and will change them out soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.