Help, new pool owner. Wishing I found this forum before I set up my pool.

Jun 27, 2016
Sparks
So, the Mrs. and I decided to get a pool for the backyard for us to cool down and our twin one year Olds to learn to swim. We ended up getting the intex 22' x 54''. I roughly leveled out the spot, (after spending a few hours reading through some posts here probably should have really leveled it nicely), put the pool together, started filling, (had to patch a hole). After about 36 hours of filling the pool I told the wife ok.... Let's use it. The initial plan was to have the pool stores test and tell me what I need to buy. Now, I'm thinking I can do it myself. My question is should I use the swg? I already ordered it and it's set to be here tomorrow. But I don't know if it is necessary or not. What test kit should I get, and should I just drain and relevel the pool or risk it for this season. It is noticeably unlevel of about 2 blue squares of the liner. The pool has been completely full since 6/25/16 and I started the fill process on 6/23/15.Also, i use a water softener for my house. Therefore the pool is filled with soft water now. After calling the pool store they informed me I may need to add more calcium to the water. Any help is much appreciated. I will continue reading others posts to try and come to a solution on my own. I figured, might as well reach out to the community to see if someone can point me in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Let me address some of your concerns:
The initial plan was to have the pool stores test and tell me what I need to buy.
Noooooooo! Testing yourself (TF-100 link below) is the way to go.
My question is should I use the swg?
Sure why not? But it's totally up to you. If you're not sure, just add regular bleach each day like so many of us do.
should I just drain and relevel the pool or risk it for this season. It is noticeably unlevel of about 2 blue squares of the liner.
The standard is level within about 1 inch. Don't always rely on those vinyl patterns since they can be off a bit. But about an inch or so is best.
After calling the pool store they informed me I may need to add more calcium to the water.
Exactly why we want you to test your own water. Your vinyl pool really doesn't need calcium like a plaster pool does. See, we just saved you some money. :p

Don't forget to update your signature for us. Nice to have you with us.

Perfect, thanks. I'll definitely get my own testing kit as soon as I can. I went to the website and it looks like a week at least for shipping. Any thing I should do to treat the water in the mean time? Or should I buy a cheap test kit from Walmart and then plug in the values to pool math or should I wait til Wednesday after I set up the swg. I feel like a need to test the water before starting the swg process to know how many lbs of salt to add

If the pool is full and no chemicals added yet, then yes you definitely need to do a couple things. You can use the Poolmath calculator to increase CYA from zero to at least 30 (for now) like a non-SWG pool.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
For FC, I would increase with bleach to about 3 ppm. After the stabilizer dissolves, increase FC to about 4-5 ppm and never let it go below 2. pH should be in the mid-7s.

Yes, you can use a simple HTH 6-Way kit from Wal-Mart to help you for now until your good kit arrives. Once you connect the SWG, increase CYA from 30 to 70 and watch FC production to ensure it stays in that 5 target area. Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.