What to use to hold steps down inside pool?

May 5, 2009
NC
Is there anything that can be used to hold the steps down inside the pool besides sand bags? Last year we had our bags of sand inside large ziploc type bags and they still leaked into the pool. I tried water bags (dumb I know, lol) but they kept floating up. Right now my dh has a huge rock sitting on the rack that goes across the bottom back side of the steps and I don't like it like that. What do you all use?

We got this idea from another user, probably the old Pool Forum I think, but anyway it works great and is cleaner and looks decent.

We took 3 pieces of 3" pvc pipe, cut about 12" long - glued a cap to one end, poured concrete into them, installed screw eye hooks into two "collars" that were glued on to the pipes. The collars on the ends were not absolutely required but they look neater that way - we tie ropes onto the screw eyes and those lay right in the steps. You can change the length or size of the pipes to suit your own needs. We found that 2 were not enough so added a third. No leaking, no unsightly water or sand bags or rocks. They look like they belong.

Reactions: Gregsgirl00
I use two one-gallon plastic gas cans filled with gravel and diluted bleach. I've got rope tied to the handles so I can pull them out when it's time to close the pool. They sit perfectly on the shelf under my steps.

Last year I used some empty bleach bottles and filled with gravel and topped off with bleach + water.

If I can talk my husband into the PVC pipes and concrete,..... that would be even better.

I also used bleach bottles, half way filled with water, to hold down the winter cover. This was the first time that the cover did not come off all winter long!!!!

Reactions: Kennyt
We bought a $6 laundry basket from Walmart. It has heavy duty handles on it. We tied this to the rack that goes across the back of the steps. We then put the stairs in the water. As it is going in, we throw in 8 bottles of bleach bottles filled with sand and topped with bleach. The stairs sink to the bottom and we're done. We don't even have to get in the pool. It was the easiest way we knew how to get the stairs weighted down without having to get in or lift a really heavy weighted down stairs into the pool. So far, this has worked for us.

Anna was it your pvc pipe invention? I thought it might be but could not for the life of me remember for sure and got too lazy to do a proper search - but I wanted to be sure they didn't think I was taking credit for it. I just take credit for being smart enough to follow a good lead. These are the most handy and professional looking weights to use under stairs and not odd shaped or bulky to get under there either. Thank you!

Thanks everyone for the wonderful ideas! I really love the look of the "step weights", might try to talk dh into making those. The thought of using sand/gravel filled bleach bottles never crossed my mind. Puts some of those empty bottles to use! What is the reason for putting bleach in with the sand/gravel?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
sand and gravel have micro and some not so micro bits of organic matter that will rot and can contaminate your pool if there should be a leak. That is what we used to use until we went with Anna's PVC weights. The bleach bottles were bulky and a bit difficult to maneuver under the steps.

I built my weights using 3 of the large empty bleach bottles as they were easy to get :lol:

I filled each of the bottles with concrete and they weigh approximately 25 pounds each for a total of 75 pounds. The bottles hang under my steps from a piece of 1/2 inch PVC pipe reinforced with rebar inside that is sealed on both end with PVC Tee Fittings. The bottles can be added/removed from the PVC by just sliding it through the handle easily. The finished bar hangs on slotted openings in our steps and the Tee Fittings prevent it from coming loose unless you turn the fitting so that it can pass through the opening.

I will take some pictures when I get ready to put the steps in this week and add them later.

The steps stay in place real well uisng this method and can be moved for cleaning under them without having to take the weights off.

I like that, DrC!

What do you use to keep the front of the steps down, if anything? We found that just weighing down the back end (top of the steps) caused the front, the lowest step, to raise up off the pool floor and made the steps unstable.

Hello Anna,

We don't notice the front of the steps rising up or at least nobody has said anything about it. The steps are filled with water after submerging and turning them to get all the air out before placing them into their final mounting position. It is easier to do that once you are in the pool and wrestle them around. I think the total weight of 75 pounds also helps to keep them in place.

They are the confer economy steps and can be seen in their website http://www.conferplastics.com/ladders_entry_steps.php. We have the basic set, picture labeled Confer Step. The bottles hang down at the level of the two middle steps. The PVC Pipe slides into the oblong opening below the first step level.

The only thing I plan on doing this year is to drill some 1-1/2 holes in the steps to increase the circulation of the water inside the steps themselves.

Hope this helps,
Dennis

DrC said:
The only thing I plan on doing this year is to drill some 1-1/2 holes in the steps to increase the circulation of the water inside the steps themselves.

Hope this helps,
Dennis

I did this last year, I could not tell any change in the circulation. I drilled about 5 holes in the bottom and 4 on the sides.

Another idea that doesn't sound like it will work :hammer:

I just noticed when I removed the steps last year at the end of the season the water that was contained inside the steps had a green tinge to it so I want to drill the holes to allow some changeover of that water I hoped.

Back to the drawing board.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I can see how your weights work on the type of steps you have. Great idea! Our steps are the rounded 'wedding cake' style and they do need weights inside the bottom step as they're extremely buoyant.

Anna, we have the Biltmore steps and just adding weight to the back allows the front of the steps to tip up, thats why we went with the PVC weights as they can slide all the way to the really narrow front end. That's kind of the bad thing about the Biltmore steps - but it was solved with the PVC anyway. The good thing about these steps is the really great flow through they have - no algae inside, under and behind - ever.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.