What to use to hold steps down inside pool?

NWMNMom said:
Anna, we have the Biltmore steps and just adding weight to the back allows the front of the steps to tip up, thats why we went with the PVC weights as they can slide all the way to the really narrow front end.

Yep, that's how we did it, with three sand filled PVC tubes inside the first step. I think the Biltmore steps must be more 'floaty' than the style Dennis uses and need weights in the front.

We drilled 2" holes into the sides of our steps and have no algae problems either. When I refill the pool I put the hose behind the steps which washes out anything that might be trapped there. I use a Wall Whale brush and by pushing water against the sides of the steps whenever I brush the bottom I get a lot of circulation going in that area.

As everyone seems to like pictures so much, including us I pulled the steps out this morning and took some pics of our weights for anyone that wants to see how they hang under our steps. Just remember to add install a piece of steel rebar inside the PVC it so it is strong enough to hold the concrete filled bleach bottles. Also don't forget to glue all fittings to seal the PVC pipe.
Dennis

StepWeights.jpg

WeightsPosition.jpg

PVCTeeLock.jpg

We use those "plastic" coated concrete weights for a weightlifting set. You know the kind that are flat circles with a hole for on a barbell? We just tie them to the steps with zipties (strong ones), and then lift the whole steps into the pool. Seems to work for us!!!

I was so excited to see this idea and thought I would share how I adapted it for the Grand Entrance steps. I chose these steps because they are more like a small staircase and make getting in and out of the pool a bit easier.

Since purchasing them, I had been having trouble getting them to sink. I absolutely REFUSED to pour 70 pounds of sand into the stairs to weight them down and, instead, have been using heavy duty ziplock bags filled with paver stones to hold the stairs on the pool floor. This year I decided to find an alternative and a web search resulted finding the PVC pipe weight idea.

The end result is consistent in appearance to the stairs. They almost look like they are part of the stairs. At the end of the season, you just cut the zips off and haul each of the weights out of the pool one at a time. You can then (with some help) lift the unweighted stairs out of the pool.IMG_5554.jpg
IMG_5553.jpg

As everyone seems to like pictures so much, including us I pulled the steps out this morning and took some pics of our weights for anyone that wants to see how they hang under our steps. Just remember to add install a piece of steel rebar inside the PVC it so it is strong enough to hold the concrete filled bleach bottles. Also don't forget to glue all fittings to seal the PVC pipe.
Dennis

I have the same steps you do, but with the manufacture weights that hang on the outside. I took pea gravel, rinsed it very well, and filled the weight with that and a bleach solution. I like your idea a lot, and if I did not already have the other weight, would have stolen it. One thing I do like is that I can take my weight out at the end of the year by standing on the top step. I dont have to get into the pool

-dave

I have the confer curved steps. I drilled holes for them to fill with water. Then I made (5) 23 inch pvc tubes out of 4 inch drainpipe like the above photos. each one weighs 20 lbs filled with sand for a total of 100 lbs. Since I am pouring concrete up to meet the pool for decking and dont fancy the idea of drilling holes for the deck supports into my concrete (plus those deck supports are unsightly, dont you think?) I used them to make a shelf at the bottom of my confer steps to hold the tubes. I cant sink them til this weekend since im waiting for sand under pool floor to harden up, but if they are still waiting to float after 100 lbs of sand, there is room to stack 5 more tubes on top of the ones I already have. with 200 lbs, there is no way those steps are going anywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I do like is that I can take my weight out at the end of the year by standing on the top step. I dont have to get into the pool

-dave

i thought that is what kids are for.... :scratch: ......:p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just purchased these exact steps and still trying to get them not to float. I read many of these comments before purchasing and did not use any sand. So far we have filled 4 of the 2ft long 3 inch pvc pipes with a 50 lb bag of quick set concrete, didn't feel as heavy as I would have thought. Steps are still floating, not as much. I have a 50 lb bag of sand on the top step temporarily until I have time on the weekends to work on it again. Thinking of filling 4 inch pvc with the sand but where are all these going to go? There is no way to attach from underneath as it is not accessible. Any suggestions welcome.

Hi all! Sorry to resurect this 2 year old thread... i just purchased the confer steps (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AQUFG6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and thinking weights for it. It looks like the rebar + pvc pipe + 3 jugs filled with concrete would work. Thoughts? Anyone else use this same ladder and if so what do you use to weight it down? Also, talking with some folks who have stair type ladders...they recommend a rubber mat on the bottom of them (I have AG pool / vinyl liner) but I've also heard nightmare stories of algae growing under the mat and wreaking havoc on the pool. Can anyone give me some direction?

We have similar steps (but the ones with the added corner piece). Great steps as far as the size and usefulness, but keeping them still has been another problem. We are using the pvc piping idea with old bleach jugs filled with sand to weight them (no re-bar, I'd be concerned with rust?). The pvc with the weighted bleach bottles alone would be fine if it were just a bunch of adults calmly using the pool (floating quietly, sipping drinks, etc). But we have a crew of rowdy children and their friends who love making waves, jumping and splashing adults who are trying to float quietly and sip drinks. So the stairs move around quite a bit. It's annoying.

This year we are attaching the steps to the deck (we had tried to avoid this previously, simply for looks and we didn't want to drill into our new trex-type deck - obviously not recommended by the stair manufacturer). So we are in the process of building a small platform to attach the steps to. I'll post when it's done to let you know how successful it is.

We have used a pool floor mat under the stairs for the past two years, never had a problem with algae.

Same steps, confer curved with added
side piece. I put about 80lbs of sand into them and sank pretty good. The front step was coming up a bit but it sat eventually. I'm curious about affixing the hand rail support flanges, they seem to stabilize the set pretty well. Any attachment ideas?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.