Holes in liner, and we're moving, suggestions please. Pics!

edweather

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2010
Kingsland, GA
Will try to keep this as brief as possible. We are moving this summer, have already bought a house, and our current house w/pool (pics) is listed with a broker. Unfortunately upon opening our pool last month, there were holes appearing in two corners, see pics. Is there any way we can temporarily patch these? Not to poor-mouth it, but we just bought a new furnace, and hot water heater, and the move is costing a few grand. Spending 3k on a new liner just isn't in out budget. All suggestions welcome. Thanks, Ed

Attachments

• P1012288.jpg
    P1012288.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 144
  • P1012285.jpg
    P1012285.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 140
Maybe have a pool handy man come out and quote you on patching them. I wouldn't go to the trouble of a new liner when you don't know what the buyers taste will be. They might not be into pools so might not care about it's liner--or they might like the idea of picking out their own liner. They might request a new liner allowance. I'd just "get by" with it for now and see what happens with feedback from the buyers. If the realtor says people are complaining about it--then you might need to replace it...otherwise I wouldn't invest the money in it for now.

Is it an above ground pool?? Typically in real estate transactions there is no value attributed to above ground pools. I was an appraiser for years and we literally gave no value to them.

If it is an inground pool i agree with the idea of offering a credit ..... although a beautiful inground pool with sparkly clear water might help the house sell faster.

You could try offering the 3 grand credit to replace the liner, but don't be surprised if you get offers that want to knock off more than 3 grand from the list price. If you get offers that are substantially less, ask the realtor to see if the liner is the only problem. It may cost you less money in the long run to replace the liner.

From that limited view, the liner needs to be replaced. It is faded, ripped, and cracking.

My thought is: once the price is set, it will become a point of negotiation and the savvy agent will certainly use it to their favor, regardless of how the buyer feels about pools.

Unless the property has virtually nothing else wrong with it (extremely rare), the liner may be a non-factor and the property will sell...but still be far less than expected price, let alone asking price. At the same time, if a property has virtually nothing else wrong with it, why is the pool the only feature in less than optimum condition?

I would do nothing about it and I've experienced this.

I bought my house last year and the liner needed replacing as well...now the pool was mostly empty and green with the liner pulled out in
places...very ugly...and I'm sure that didn't help (I had no competing bids and it had been on the market 2 months) but if you keep it filled and at least clear water I doubt it will do much harm to the sale.

I'm actually kind of glad mine needed replacing even though I absorbed the full cost at closing (it had way under appraised for other reasons)
because like others suggested, I got to choose the new liner and had the piece of mind to know it was new and would last a long time.

Don't be surprised if there is a line item for a repair request to replace it for your eventual buyer, but you could always say no or negotiate half
the repair cost.

Just don't let the water go green. I'm certain that was one of the reasons the house was listed and didn;t sell for 2 months. Also
they were asking way too much for what the interior needed (the hallway was missing carpet and looked really bad...like crack house bad)

Terrific responses, and can't thank you all enough. The pool holds water fine, and the holes are above the waterline. The water is sparkly crystal clear now, and none of the dozen or so people that have looked at the house have even seen the holes, and all but one have loved the pool. One commented on the creases. Ground truth, the holes are really small at the moment, and hard to even see unless you know what to look for. The patching/$1500 credit ideas, are the ones we are considering now. Unless we don't sell the house this year, and the holes grow to a foot long over the winter, we can hopefully hold off on a new liner. Also, like was mentioned, the new owners can pick their own liner. Here's a link to some pool photos on the real estate site.

Moderator Note - personally identifiable information deleted

Thanks again, Ed
k

You're likely paying for it, one way or the other. Either you can fix it now with some control over the cost or, as others have stated, be prepared for the buyer to use it as a negotiating point. While it's possible they won't care I would not count on it. When we bought our house a few years ago we definitely took the fact that the plaster was approaching its end-of-life as a factor in deciding on our price.

Pool looks great in the listing photo, if it looks different when they see it in person that might be a red flag for some.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Seeing the "big picture" on the realtor site, I'd absolutely do nothing now. It comes off as being a gorgeous outdoor setting, with a well maintained yard. What a great home for a young family with kids. Under $150K for that house on 1/3 acre. The American Dream in upstate NY.

Ok, sorry, I linked something with personal information, so the mod properly deleted it. Will post some individual photos of the pool later, have lots at home......at work now. Agree it might be better if we replace the liner, and we just might, but can't see replacing it right now......maybe in the fall or spring. It's a bit of a dilemma, but right now the feeling I'm getting is to wait a bit. Have already gotten a couple of estimates, and the contractors are more than happy to do it late in the season. Again, thanks for all the speedy helpful replies, and I'll post some pool photos, but not 'til late tonight. Thanks again, ED

Ok, sorry, I linked something with personal information, so the mod properly deleted it. Will post some individual photos of the pool later, have lots at home......at work now. Agree it might be better if we replace the liner, and we just might, but can't see replacing it right now......maybe in the fall or spring. It's a bit of a dilemma, but right now the feeling I'm getting is to wait a bit. Have already gotten a couple of estimates, and the contractors are more than happy to do it late in the season. Again, thanks for all the speedy helpful replies, and I'll post some pool photos, but not 'til late tonight. Thanks again, ED

Looking forward to the pictures. I agree with those that said to wait and see feedback. As a buyer it wouldn't bother me and I would prefer to pick my own liner and use it as a negotiating tool. [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks great. If it were me i would patch the holes and be upfront about the holes and the patches to any prospective buyer. They may or may not ask for a credit but if they do it will all blend into a final sales price for you without you having to spend $3K now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.