Fire Pit Height - show me your fire pits

I'm trying to decide ring vs no-ring in a wood burning firepit. The ring is supposed to keep the fire/heat off the block and prevent them from cracking. But I'm worried that the ring will rust and not look good after a year or two.

If I go no-ring, do I risk bursting a block? I would like to glue or mortar everything together. I don't want a middle block to burst and have to disassemble to replace.

Or maybe I line the inside of the ring with another layer of concrete block or brick that can be replaced....

I'm trying to decide ring vs no-ring in a wood burning firepit. The ring is supposed to keep the fire/heat off the block and prevent them from cracking. But I'm worried that the ring will rust and not look good after a year or two.

If I go no-ring, do I risk bursting a block? I would like to glue or mortar everything together. I don't want a middle block to burst and have to disassemble to replace.

Or maybe I line the inside of the ring with another layer of concrete block or brick that can be replaced....

my brother had his pit built then put a liner on the inside of it he had it intentionally pre-rusted by the manufacture. here are a few pictures of it. he has had it for a two years and has not broken a block yet.

Plain ring with lip_4.jpgZikko-fire-pit.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i love the work that went into this, what a craftsman!
I'd love to do the coping in wood like this, or even a wood/rock combo.

Really all I'm looking for is for someone to throw me the keys to their backyard and their children's future college tuition... the rest is up to me!

View attachment 58688

View attachment 58690

nice job on the block work
my brother had his pit built then put a liner on the inside of it he had it intentionally pre-rusted by the manufacture. here are a few pictures of it. he has had it for a two years and has not broken a block yet.

View attachment 70538View attachment 70539

where did you get your pit i like the simple steel design.
here is my simple little pit it isnt as nice as some of the others here. but I had it custom made for me and I love it. plus we rather the wood burning pits than gas pits.

View attachment 71041

where did you get your pit?

Ours is 18” high. Perfect height for eating at and putting our feet up. Made with the extra travertine from the decking. Running on propane from the underground tank.
230C42CA-B1E4-46DA-92DA-4831E66963C8.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.