3/4HP or 1HP?

Jul 1, 2014
Boston
I'm looking to get a new Hayward super pump. I'm not sure if I should go 3/4 or 1 HP. Hopefully you pros can help me out.

My pool is 10,000 gallons in ground. Hayward DE36 pro grid filter, Hayward gas heater 350btu.
The run from the skimmer is about 36ft and from the drain 54ft. The plumbing is 1.5" in the ground and 2" between the equipment.

The old pump is 3/4HP Hayward super. When it was installed (by previous owner) there was no heater. I thought it did the job but I never got to run it with the heater. I'm wondering if adding a heater will make that much of a difference in my pump needs.

FYI, when I was running the 3/4 HP pump the reading on the filter's gauge after backwash was around 10psi.

Last edited:
A 3/4 pump is plenty for your pool from the sounds of it. Heaters require a minimum flow to operate, but the limit is fairly low and will be fine with that pump.

Is the current pump going bad or are you just looking for reassurance that it will work fine with the heater?

Also, adding the details of your pool to your signature helps us understand your situation and questions better. You can add that here: Edit Signature

Thanks for the link. I was wondering how you guys did that. Apparently I need to be on a desktop to add that info. Maybe my grandma has one, ha. There should be a TFP app.

I bought a 3/4HP. Old one was leaking. Replaced everything, still leaking. I'm sure it can be fixed but if I didn't get my pool working in the next few days I will go insane. I'll take it apart and try again some day and then just keep it as a back up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.