Is it normal to see visibly see chlorine coming out after putting it in the skimmer?

Granules in the skimmer. Seems to be a pretty common practice from what I've read and heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While many say to do it this way it is a very bad technique. It causes a very acidic environment and can damage equipment.

I wouldn't worry about what you are seeing, but would change this practice. Plus, what solid chlorine are you using? TriChlor, DiChlor or CalHypo? The first two add CYA/Stabilizer to the pool water that you may not need and the latter add calcium that your AGP does not need at all.

Exactly what my PB Bioguard dealer had us do last year, our first year. Smart Silk Sticks in the skimmer all the time, even with pump only running 10 hours a day.

Glad i found you guys.
Hmmm, I wonder who would have wanted to repair any damage when the skimmer deteriorated..... Sorry, it's out of warranty....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I am. Using the tf100 test kit. Ph was actuality a little low, now it's at 7.6. Chlorine at two. Forgot the value for the cya, but remember being in the "good" range

There is no "good" range for CYA, that is a pool store/pool industry theory. FC & CYA must be maintained as a ratio to each other as outlined in the Chlorine / CYA Chart.

2 FC would be the absolute minimum FC level that would be allowed if the CYA was below 30.

We are really not trying to jump on you, just letting yo know that you are on the borderline for getting an algae bloom.

Cya at 35

There really isn't a 35. The tube is a logarithmic scale, so half way between two numbers really isn't a "5". Just round up to the next higher number for calculations.

So for 40 CYA your FC should never go below 3 and you should target 5 to make sure the UV rays during the day don't take you down below 3.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

No worries. That's why I'm asking these questions. I'm new at this. I'll check levels when I get home and post them here
We want you to keep asking questions! That is how you learn. Plus, for every person like you who does ask there are many who just read and don't ask. We try to phrase our answers to make sure they understand also.

Ye old Bioguard dealer! The more I followed their instructions the worse my water became. Also, my wallet got emptied pretty fast on a weekly basis!

Know that feeling when they sold me sanitizer (chlorine) with calcium. When I started with TFP I started to read labels since some of the stuff made sense finally. So they're selling me something to increase my CH like I have a plaster pool ?? And it's more expensive that the straight sanitizer. $$$
The worst thing was the 25-50 dollar bottle of "try this" and it sure felt like that didn't have any more idea if it'd work for me than I did. So glad to have pool shelf empty of Bioguard this and that.
Now I know what's going in and it's easier on me doing it myself rather than running to the pool store. :lovetfp:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.