Samplesizer and TF-100

Jun 1, 2016
East Coast
I have been using my TF-100 for almost a month now. I picked up a magnetic stirrer about two weeks ago and love it. Crazy overpriced for what it is but makes a huge difference.

I ordered and received a samplesizer the other day as it would make things even easier and more precise.

I have been using the chlorine labeled vial specifically for chlorine only and testing other stuff with the other vial. I assume there is a reason for this, but both vials do not work with the samplesizer but the one that came with the stirrer does (I saved it for spare).

Is there a reason I can't use one vial for all tests if I rinse it out between tests? Do I need to order a second 9198 so I can use the samplesizer for all tests?

I use the sample sizer, and I just ordered a number of the Taylor test vials so I have one for each test. It makes things so much easier. Each is marked for the test and when I'm through with all my testing, I clean them all and put them back in the test kit.

I usually carry my kit to the pool and test and bring it in when I go in. It is already big enough and I cant fit the stirrer and sizer in as it is. I'd prefer simpler and less clutter if possible. If I can accurately use one tube, I would prefer that a lot.

I use one vial with the Sample Sizer & Speed Stir for every test except PH & CYA, have been since last season & the vial still looks new with the exception of a faint ring about 3/16" up from the bottom which I figure is from the stir bar and will happen regardless of how clean I keep the vial.

I keep my test kit inside the house & bring my water sample inside for every test except PH & CYA. I find it much easier to do the tests sitting at the kitchen table, and I have the convenience of the kitchen sink to rinse well between tests.

The majority of my testing is FC & CC once a day, I check PH every third day or so(I'm lucky that my PH is very stable), TA once a month-ish, and CYA every 2-3 weeks, or if there is a large water exchange.

Dom

I use one vial with the Sample Sizer & Speed Stir for every test except PH & CYA

I keep my test kit inside the house & bring my water sample inside for every test except PH & CYA.
This is how I test also. The pool stores in my area were nice enough to give me a really nice collection bottle (several actually).

I go out to the pool with my bottle to the same spot every time (right next to one of the skimmers).

I fill the bottle half way and shake vigorously and pour the water back in the pool.

I insert my arm to the elbow below the surface with the bottle upside down and turn it over so I get my sample from below the surface.

I now carry this in the house and do all testing at the sink.

This bottle give me sufficient water that I can do all the tests but also enough that I can rinse the tube after every test with pool water rather than water from the tap. Does it make a difference, ???

Wow! Y'all are up early (except for sir swim a lot). As you have found,the sample sizer only works with the Taylor cylinders. They are just minutely narrower but enough to make a difference.

I am not sure the correct order # is 9198 but I'll look into it a bit more.....haven't had time to go to Taylor's website.

BTW, Tim5055's description of how to test is textbook perfect. Getting a good sample and bringing it into the house allows you to work in a good environment under good lighting and get good results.

He does fail to mention that if your are testing in the late afternoon, it puts you quite close to the cold ones in the refrigerator.

The pool stores in my area were nice enough to give me a really nice collection bottle (several actually).

I test much like tim also. My biggest issue for a while was getting the sample sizes accurate as my collection bottles weren't great. Most of that issue was solved by getting one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WTHLR18/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I thought I'd try something like this before buying the sample sizer and so far it's worked great.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'd seen the sample sizer, but how do you use it?

If you have the right tube all you do is fill the tube halfway or full and drop it in and pull it out.

It has two sides that disperses to remaining 10ml or 25ml depending what test you are running.

It saves a lot of time trying to get those measurements exactly and it is precise. Unfortunately the tubes that come with the TF-100 don't work with it which is very unfortunate.

The magnetic stirrer comes with the correct tube (Taylor 9198) so I now use that.

Saves a bit of time but also makes me feel more comfortable as I don't have to keep messing with the measurement to get as close as I can.

Overpriced like the stirrer but will last a lifetime.

Actually I find it easier and less messy to drop the sizer in first then squirt water in along side it until it's full, the pull the sizer out. It is a handy little device, but not the game changer that the SpeedStir was.

Actually I find it easier and less messy to drop the sizer in first then squirt water in along side it until it's full, the pull the sizer out. It is a handy little device, but not the game changer that the SpeedStir was.

Yes it isn't huge but when you do this daily I am all for it. Anything that makes it quicker and more accurate is really nice in my book.

The stirrer is amazing. It was such a pain before. I would recommend it to everyone testing with these kits.

Yes, the Speed Stir is a must have for sure.

I feel that since everything we teach revolves around accuracy and consistency, the Sample Sizer is a great addition to my test kit.

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.