New here and sos ugh. Where to begin help needed

Jun 23, 2016
Odessa TX
Hello and thanks in advance.
Where to start ? I can't seem to keep any level of any chemical to stay in line with anything. Other than the total hardness of 1000 ppm. Ph TA swing like monkeys! Free chlorine ? Omg its not free unless its free to disappear, where does it go :brickwall:

I'm new here and stuck on Leslie's pool supplies stupid. No more !

Would someone anyone please tell me where to start I've maintained my pool or tried for 4 years now. Waisted kids college tuition at that freaking supply store.

Do I start with PH. TA. CYA ? My pool is open all year I guess ? About a month ago we received 8 inches or rain over a 10 day period and since then the algae began its battle with me and seems to have an appetite for chlorine huge appetite, both free or total disappear overnight my water is slightly milky algea growth seems to be under controll and cleaned out visably ? my PH and TA change like my wife's mind as well as CYA ABC or any abbreviation you choose!!
Please where do I start to get something to balance? Pump is running 24/7 back washed several times average 3 lbs of shock each day for the past 2 weeks last night I started the bleach 10% added a gallon waited 30 minutes before testing at which point all levels seem OK? Sorta! Tested again 1st thing this morning and
0 cc
0 fc
6.2 ph
30 ta
30 cya
These are test strip result averages as I've tested repeatedly daily...I purchased a new test kit today pdp pool care yes from leslies .. i will order one of the endorsed kits ASAP but I wanted to start with something to practice with. Please point me to any beginning point that might start to balance any of the above. Please before I dive to the bottom of the pool where I've installed a scratch and sniff for the grand kids I don't like jk its for the wife thanks and sorry for the rant .... sincerely Chris

Chris- somebody better than me should be along shortly...id get your pH in line first. Use pool math to find out what you need to get it in the operating range. Don't get discouraged, these folks know their stuff.

I am stealing the scratch n sniff idea, unless you want to trade a couple grandkids with me.

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something.

We can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

So, order the test kit today.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with ABCs of Water Chemistry

The pH test in the kit you purchased should be sufficient to get the pH in line. Test and verify the starting number first. Do not rely on the test strips of the pool store numbers. Once you get a starting number use Pool Math (link a the top of every page) to calculate how much Borax you need to add to bring your pH up to 7.2. You are actually off the chart low so it may take multiple additions to get it back in range. Borax is available as 20 Mule Team® Borax Natural Laundry Booster. It is sold in the laundry detergent section of most larger grocery stores and some big box stores. Borax is best added by pre-dissolving it in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return. After you add it give the pool 30-60 minutes with the pump running to mix the water well then take another pH test. Repeat as often as necessary to get the pH to where you want it.

Each day until you get your test kit add one bottle of concentrated bleach (it's 8.25%, and a bottle is not a gallon - 121oz) to the pool. Add it in front of a return with the pump running. I get mine at WalMart, GreatValu - no scents, ez pour or anything else special - plain concentrated GreatValu bleach.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Get that kit in your possession and post your results. You are about to be transformed.....I promise. I can tell you are eager to learn and you will be introduced to our methods that make good common sense, the science is rock solid, and you will have a lot of nice people to help you along the way.

As above, please stay out of the pool store, they got you where you are so they will only dig you deeper into the hole.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.....that's the starting point.

Thank you all !! For replying to my rant and your advice! I tried to reply earlier this morning but was kicked out of here for my slow typing skills I guess lol. As I was directed above I reread the abc and pool school about 5 times each I'm quick to being a good ball but slow when it comes to absorbing the information probably to much time at the scratch and sniff?

So this morning I tested the ph low at 6.2

I had a 4 lbs tub to increase ph so i added it at 10 am waited half an hour test once again and showed 7.6
Then I added a gallon of bleach. I added nothing yesterday which I know I should have added the bleach but wanted to wait for your expert advice. My algea monster had started complaining by sunrise as he was starting to cover my walls green again, most of which i had cleared up, but not to worry I will have it back under control if it's not already. My biggest issue when I started this post was fc Tc disappear within hours ph ta would bounce like the beach ball in the pool and my water was milky.

At 8.30 pm tonight I ran all the tests again and to my surprise the levels are as follows
Ph 7.4
Fc 1-2
Tc 2-4
Cc 120 I think ? Not sure I understand correctly added drops as instructed to turn green then 1 drop at a time until it turns red. Which was twelve multiple times 10 so 120?
Total bromide is the same test as fc so same 1-2 ?
As I said these held for 10 hours today compared to the past few days when in some cases fc Tc would be gone ph TA would have dropped hugely.
I will retest in the morning and then add a gallon of bleach before work. And if I can I will order the new test kit per your recommendations.
A friend told me to add stabilizer today but I wanted your opinions before doing anything other than as advised.

Sincerely Thank You all Chris

When you start using the stuff you have read it will start making sense.

Do NOT add any CYA (stabilizer) until we know what you already have in there. It is much easier to add than it is to take out.

The good test kit is a must if you are going to take care of your own pool. Let us know when yours comes in.

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test kits working great
Ph 7.6
TA 130
Fc 1-2
Tc 2-4
Hardness I haven't figured out but our water is super hard here
Tca I need to retest a couple more times reading is to high ?
Algea destroyed and cleaned out of pool only issue is cloudy
Anyone have suggestions ? Thanks again

Yup CYA my bad and
thank you
the test kit is the best kit I've ever owned it was cheap cheap a friend of mine and pool owner hand dlvd it yesterday. We keep each other informed about what we've learned about our pools since neither of us has much experience with them and we both despise pool company ( you know the company add here if you like) I sent him an email about tfp told him how cool is thought this sight was to start reading the posts and he drove into town yesterday and handed me a test kit. He lives in the Dallas area works out here a lot. I still haven't had time to find where to buy or order one.... must be living right!!!

So which test kit did he get you? What a neat friend!

Lets talk about the CYA test. You say it is high........tell me what you did. We HAVE to know where it is at to know what the next step is.

I will give you a little hint on how I do it. Do the mix with the regent. Pour it to the first line (100) and GLANCE in. IF you can still see the dot pour to the next line and GLANCE in again. Keep going line by line until you cannot see the dot with a GLANCE.

Now if you cannot see the dot when you are at the 100 line you can mix the test water with water to double the amount and redo the test dot test again using the GLANCE method. Once you get a reading you will double your results to get your CYA number.

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.