plumbing problem

Jun 5, 2015
Toronto Canada
I have decided to change out my main pump to add a variable speed jandy jep 2.0 epump
the old pump is about 25 inches and is a 1 hp
The new one is about 35 inches and 2 hp
I have 4 suctions going to the main pump, 3 on the pool and 1 on the spa controlled by a jandy valve creating a manifold that is just in front of the main pump intake
The problem is :
There is only 34 inches to the cabana wall and the new pump wants 10 inches of straight pipe in front of it and the air intake for the pump is at the very end of the pump :-(
I have attached a photo of my current plumbing
I had an idea that I can pull the manifold back about a foot by placing it directly on top of the pipes as they come out of the ground. The shut off valves would then be on the vertical part of the pipe run instead of the horizontal
I tried to show this idea in my photo called idea1 excuse the lame attempt to draw the new longer intake pipe from the jandy valve to the pump
This gives me 12 more inches which is a start but the new pump is 6 inches longer on the wet end and so if I leave the output alone I am about 4-6 inches short of having the required 10 inches of straight pipe
It also requires very accurate gluing and cutting and fitting as there is no real tolerances
If any one has a better idea it would be appreciated
I did consider turning the pump sideways but that makes the connection to the spa pump difficult

thanks

franklin

Attachments

• present system.jpg
    present system.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 95
  • idea1.jpg
    idea1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 93
Welcome to TFP :)

You have a really tight pad, you may have to move the pump up, like on a couple cinder blocks and reworking your whole setup :)

The 12 inches in front of the pump is not necessary. The Leaf Catcher defeats any gain of 12 inches of straight pipe.

Why is your spa pump putting out unfiltered water? How does it get to the heater. Ok I'm off topic. That electrical line is not kosher either. A watertight whip would be ok but the NM is technically not to code.

Back to the topic. I would buy some Jandy valves and install them vertically. But I still don't get how this setup works.

The 12 inches in front of the pump is not necessary. The Leaf Catcher defeats any gain of 12 inches of straight pipe.

Why is your spa pump putting out unfiltered water? How does it get to the heater. Ok I'm off topic. That electrical line is not kosher either. A watertight whip would be ok but the NM is technically not to code.

Back to the topic. I would buy some Jandy valves and install them vertically. But I still don't get how this setup works.

Can you explain how and where the valves would go and what NM is

in spa mode the water returns from the spa and is split into two streams part to the heater and back to spa and part to the spa pump and bypassing the filters and heater

Originally there was a skimmer and drain dedicated to bringing water back from the spa to main pump as you can see in the picture this was capped because of a leak if you look at the picture and follow the spa side of the Jandy you can see the stub in the ground
so all water from the spa comes from one pipe

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.