Sand for sand filter

You need plain old pool sand. I believe some Lowes and Home Depots have them, mine was really fouled at the start of this season so I replaced it, but I have to go to the pool store for it. I just got the economy stuff not the "special" stuff. And I will be staying on top of deep cleaning, it was something I neglected to do, but I won't make that mistake twice. There is a post on here about not all sands being equal you may want to search it up and see if anything inspiring is inside of it for you, but I went with the el cheapo sand and my pool in great form.

There are only two pool stores I town. None of the home improvement stores carry pool sand. So be careful if you're in a similar situation. One store swore up and down it was silica sand, but when I get there it's zeo. The other said they didn't carry silica, but when pressed they found a few bags. The few bags I got were dirty, I wish I classified it myself.

As a FYI about the quickcrete, Yeah, there were a couple of reports about it being bad.

Dave had a conversation on the phone with the quickcrete rep. It appears as if a bad batch of Pool Sand did get distributed, but overall, they have a good quality procedure and there should be no reason to avoid it, unless you just want to be ultra safe.

Pool Sand is #20 silica. Anything smaller than #20 will get through the holes in the laterals and end up on the pool floor.

As a FYI about the quickcrete, Yeah, there were a couple of reports about it being bad.

Dave had a conversation on the phone with the quickcrete rep. It appears as if a bad batch of Pool Sand did get distributed, but overall, they have a good quality procedure and there should be no reason to avoid it, unless you just want to be ultra safe.

Pool Sand is #20 silica. Anything smaller than #20 will get through the holes in the laterals and end up on the pool floor.

Dave - if the smaller stuff gets vacuumed back into the filter would you expect it to stay gone? Or should I dredge it out?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.