Another Algae or dirt thread..........

wkg720

Jul 8, 2015
Covington
Hi, i have green water but my test results confuse me. i went on vacation several weeks back, my pump had stopped by the time i returned... and things went green, so i reset pump and proceeded to SLAM. i thought myself to be proficient with my taylor k2006, and i worked my through the process successfully, except for one thing, didnt have a decent pool vacc. so ive since then maintained normal FC levels of around 4ppm, and i'm getting 0 ppm CC, but am still trying to clean bottom little by little.. finally borrowed a hayward aqua critter, which only seemed to stir the pool until it was one consistent green color. but STILL maintaining 2-6 ppm FC and 0 ppm CC (using bleach) So...... wondering if my green is all dead algae and dirt and my filter is inadequate? have my finger on the trigger for a hayward S180T sand filter, and inherited a used hayward power flo lx 1hp pump.... apologize for long winded question lol

heres some of my numbers........... FC -4
CC-0
PH-7.6
CYA-30ish
CH-300
ALK-180

Intex 26'x52" ultra frame, well filled 15k gal, krystal clear 633t (2500 gph)

welcome to TFP :)

You have nice clear green water or is it green and when you brush it is no longer clear?

You right with a CC of 0 you not killing anything, you may have metal in the water, can you get a pool store test and see? with well water it is a good possibility of metals..

the color seems to settle to bottom when left alone and leave clearer water. but as soon as its brushed or we swim it stirs up and turns green again. and yes when i first filled pool it was orangeish, from iron i think. you recommend a certain product to clear that up? in the past ive just used hth metal control

wkg720 said:
and yes when i first filled pool it was orangeish, from iron i think. you recommend a certain product to clear that up?

If tests determine there are metals in the water and algae is ruled out, you have two choices:

• If you want the water clear right now, you will need to use regular doses of a sequestrant to prevent the metals from forming stains. Sequestrants bind to the metals and prevent them from depositing as stains. Sequestrants slowly break down in the pool, so you need to add more regularly to maintain the correct level. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.
  • If you can deal with the metallic color for a while, you can attempt to filter some of the metals out using the paper towel method. Simply wad up some paper towels and place them in the skimmer. If they turn the same color as the water, then it is capturing some of the metals. In order to do this method, you will need to let the metals precipitate out (become visible). Do not use a sequestrant while you are doing this. Do a TFP search on "paper towel method" for more info. At some point, you may hit diminishing returns when following this method and will then need to use a sequestrant to keep the metals in suspension so the water appears clear. The good news is that you will need to use less of it and replenish it less often since you have filtered out some of the metals.

More info on metals in the water can be found here: Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Ok thank you for you're help! One more question, my first post I mentioned a filter/pump upgrade... would it be worth it to bump up to the 21" filter from the 18"? Or would that be too much for my 1 horse pump

Bigger is always better, less PSI with same size pump and larger filter, maybe not a lot less...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.