Replacing sand filter and need advice

Glock

Jun 3, 2012
Mesquite, Texas
My pool is not very old (almost 4 yrs old) but the filter, pump and skimmer have been a real pain to work with. The spider valve is hard to turn, it leaks, the clear cap on the pump basket is cracked and extremely hard to get off. It constantly sucks air and when I connect my vacuum to it, it only runs so long until it looses prime from too much air. I am now looking to replace it with a cartridge filter and pump along with a Hayward skimmer. It will be hard plumbed to the pool too.

I need advice on brand and size of the filter/pump. I also need to know what I need to hard plumb it. Unions, PVS, cut offs, things like that. My son is a certified plumber so he will do the install but I have to buy the parts so I want to get everything he will need. I want to be able to turn it off and cut the water flow to the filter and pump so they can be taken out if needed for repair or cleaning. I also need to know how long a cartridge filter lasts and can they be cleaned and reused?

My pool is 18x34 and depth of 4 - 7.5 ft. 22800 gallons. This is my current setup.
filter.jpg

Ha ha! One of those days where you're talking to yourself huh? :blah: That new set-up should be much nicer than the old one you had. Once you run the new plumbing it should clean-up real nice. Looking forward to the post-installation pics. :)

Me too. lol. I am ashamed to say I have neglected the pool for 2 seasons now due to some personal issues but I am back at it and having to re-balance the water too. I have left it up to trichlor tabs to keep it free of algae but it was at a hefty price. My liner is really faded, my CYA is like 130, and I had to add 26lbs of Baking Soda to get the TA up to 100PPM. I am going to run a new set of numbers tonight. Once it is balanced I will swap from the old sand filter to the new filter.

Since you already made the decision my comments are pretty useless, but 2HP is much more than you need, a 1HP would have been enough (I say this as someone who downsized from 2HP to 1HP) though no real concern other than maybe a slightly higher electric bill.

Based on the model # is that a 200 sq foot cartridge filter? If so, good move, in general larger filters are better as they require less frequent cleaning. I have a Hayward cartridge filter that might be a bit undersized for my pool at 150 sq ft, but it gets the job done and I clean it maybe twice during the season and then again when I close. The only thing I don't like is that it is a bit of a pain to break down the filter, but the design of yours looks like it will be pretty easy. For the plumbing, I have shut off valves at almost every connection (so where it exits the skimmer at the beginning of the suction line, then where it enters the pump at the end of the suction line, then also at the beginning of the return line where clean water exits the filter) this way it is easy to isolate the filter or pump, which makes it easy to isolate the filter for breaking down and cleaning the cartridge and reduces the amount of water you will have to drain.

I use flex pvc pipe because it makes it easy to disconnect and bring in for the winter, but guess that is not a concern for you in Texas. I'd pick up a cartridge filter cleaning tool, I use the aqua comb and it works well.

Yes, it is the 200 sq ft and the reasons you stated is why I went with it. I also chose it for the 2HP because I am going to replace the crappy doughboy skimmer with a Hayward wide-mouth but I am also going to add a second skimmer on the other end of the pool. The deep end of my pool does not circulate well and algae problems that I have had in the past have started there. I am also thinking of having the liner replaced and getting rid of the deep-end and making it all 5 feet deep.

I haven’t really decided where I want to place the new filter and in light of that I am contemplating having it hard plumbed above ground for the time being but snug next to the pool to avoid damage. Eventually I want a deck and once that is in I will have it plumbed underground. I will have unions and ball valves to break it all down and bring it indoors if needed.

No harm done. That is one of the changes I will be making. It has run like it is now for over 3 years. Although the 25 ft extension cord it is plugged into was very expensive because of its gauge, it is also plugged into a GFCI. The cord on my current pump os far longer than 3 ft but the new one is indeed 3 ft. I agree though on what you said and that change is coming. I just need to decided where I want the final resting place of the filter/pump so I only have to run it once.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.