Doughboy 28' AGP recessed...struck and removed rock at excavation sight..now what

Excavating for 28' doughboy pool to recess and hit rock table while excavating. Decided to try and remove them and get a depth with transit but i have went to far down by removing rock at site. What do i put back in the bottom to build a solid base? Read till my eyes bled on what to do and decided to ask here... Very frustrating to say the least. Wish i had some better guidance! Thanks..

In my excavation for my IG pool, it was suggested to use non compressible material for any accidental over dig. Then use a plate compactor to make sure it was completely settled (compact it every 2 to 4 inches of fill). Some examples of non compressible material are mason sand, slag sand, crushed limestone with fines (called 21AA around here), pea gravel with sand. Although I am not a fan of plate compacting mason sand, as it seems to fly around a bit too much. Do not fill with any organic material or clay.

As long as the water drains away okay, I suppose that could work. Not the recommended solution from my excavator friend or from the pool kit company that I used. Whatever you use, remember that you are going to have a whole lot of water weight on the area that is filled. So just be sure that it is well compacted. At a minimum, use a hand tamper with every inch of material you fill in. The excavator should have some pretty good compression force too.

The longer it sits, the more compact it will get. Conversely, the longer it sits, the less you swim this summer. Not sure how much more compact it would be after only a week, though. If you are going to use the water method, I would probably let most of the water evaporate out before continuing. In addition to your repair, you could do a test area outside of your pool site and do some test digs over time to see if the compaction is improving or is up to your needs.

Ok i think i am going to go with screenings and compact and see if it suits the needs... Awaiting a call back from hoffinger tech line on their idea.... I do not have a source for bentonite clay but i see where your going with that idea..... I cant imagine i am the only one who has ran into this issue but i will keep this post updated as i go.. Thanks!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.