Stubborn CYA

midlander

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2008
Pool opened to no CYA. You told me to raise it. Easy enough. Five pounds of CYA and a week later, and the water is only slightly cloudy on my TF100 test kit, so basically no CYA. Chlorine has held at 5 most of the week and is down to 4 today with no CC. Pool has a solar bubble cover on all the time. Logic says to add the rest of the bucket, or three more pounds. But I keep remembering all the water we drained last spring trying to lower the CYA! Thaks for sharing your infinite knowledge with us non-Mensa candidates.

Well, that's very puzzling. I assume you didn't backwash to remove it from your pool before it was dissolved. Frankly, I have no clue.

My reason for posting is to tell you not to add any more.........for exactly the same reason you mentioned. That equates to 30ppm and in your "indoor" pool that should be all you ever need.

Perhaps someone else will have an idea where your CYA went.

Not an indoor pool. I didn't really understand that comment either. It's been covered all week with a bubble cover while the CYA dissolved. No backwashing or cartridge cleaning.. Chlorine is 4, PH 7.6, TA 120. I've forgotten the most recent Hardness result. The Chlorine is holding nicely, but under a bubble cover. My concern was the CYA level after adding five pounds and waiting a week. Pump ran 24hr/2.5 days, then 8 hours a day since. The CYA test is barely cloudy so I do not have a readable result. I'm baffled because last summer we played "drain and fill" to lower the CYA from about 230 and this spring we opened to ZERO CYA. I know things happen, but five pounds of CYA and no reading?

midlander said:
How do I determine what my chlorine level should be? Do I assume that my CYA is 30 and adjust accordingly?
I would assume CYA of 30 for now and dose accordingly.

There is a possibility that the CYA is old/expired? I think I'd wait a couple more days and retest.

Others will chime in soon.

Pool has a solar bubble cover on all the time.
That equates to 30ppm and in your "indoor" pool that should be all you ever need.
Not an indoor pool. I didn't really understand that comment either.
Yeah, I added unnecessary confusion there. What I meant was, until you take off the solar cover, you essentially have the needs of an indoor pool....i.e. lower CYA.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have mentioned it. :oops:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.