CYA...again

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
Why can I not get this up? I have not once gotten it to where it should be. We've added 3 bottles of the conditioner <bc it's new water and we wanted to get them right quicker> and I have been testing every day and it's still at 45-48.

Today's reading:
FAC 5.5 <that went up from 2 days ago> from 5
CH is 275 <300 two days ago> yes, I know it needs to be 350+
TA is 70
salt is 3000
pH 7.2 -- this goes up and down (first time it's been low)

I did the pool calculator and we just added the 2lbs of CH and I guess I will buy another bottle of conditioner but darn !

And on top of that, my husband has the who died and made TFP right? Where do they get their info? Who says Their calculations/chemicals levels are right? Someone just shoot me now! :(

According to my Poolmath calculator directions, based on your 19K pool, it's telling me you needed to add either 178 ounces of granular stabilizer OR 460 ounces of liquid conditioner to go from a CYA of zero to 70. Not sure how big those bottles were that you added, but I hope this helps confirm what you have done so far.

That is very odd. CYA generally doesn't just drop. Often times we see variations in testing, or it can lower over time from frequent backwashing, minimal oxidation each month (very little), and swimming splashout. The only other way CYA would drop would be a pool leak. Not sure if you've had to add an unusual amount of water lately. I would hope not since you just had your pool re-plastered. Once in a great while we receive concerns about a bad batch of stabilizer/conditioner that just didn't seem to hold well.

Well, I am trying desperately to get there. It's very frustrating to me. I may be a slow learner but I am at least trying. AND I turned 3 people standing to get their water tested and told them about this site - one guy I even took his phone and typed it in his notes!

I wanted it to be perfect for our 4th party.

We haven't added any water, in fact, we've drained water bc we have had So.Much rain here!

I may be a slow learner but I am at least trying.
You don't sound like a slow-learner to me. :) And you have the best test kit available. But rest-assured we all miss something from time to time, so if you ever do have a question about anything, that's what we're all here for.

As for the CYA, it is best to be cautious. The last thing you want to do is over-shoot your target with that one. :hammer:

AND I turned 3 people standing to get their water tested and told them about this site - one guy I even took his phone and typed it in his notes!
:goodjob: Only time will tell. Whenever I try that the people look at me as if I'm an alien. Hopefully you had better luck. :p

We haven't added any water, in fact, we've drained water bc we have had So.Much rain here!

This could be it. When you had rain, it diluted the CYA. Then you drained off water and some CYA went with it. Did the drop in CYA occur right after you drained water?

That is a good point Deb04 - not dilution but water exchange. :) Back about a month or two ago when we all got hit really hard with those rains for about 4 weeks straight, any repetitive drain(s) would start to add-up and reduce your CYA. Mine went down about 20 ppm when we had that 30 days or so of heavy stuff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would test cya a few times and take an average..... use the same sample and just put it back in the bottle. Make sure you are using your body to shade the sun and take the reading that way. Ive had to do that a few times just to get better at seeing (or not seeing) the dot... Once the dot starts to fade, go drop by drop and see what happens... lighting is key to this test

Also, unless I'm reading this incorrectly, you are taking your pool samples to the pool store for analysis. If you are, stop! Get yourself a kit testkit from TFTestkits.net (Either the TF-100 or the Taylor K2006). Do the testing yourself. Also, look a diluting the CYA test so that you test more than just a handful of times ... (one of many threads CYA dilution discussion ).

Remember, the PH test is also unreliable while doing a SLAM (high chlorine) so get that in order first. Good luck.

actually, according to my log, we added a bottle of conditioner on 6/19 and 120lbs of salt. 6/20 CH. on 6/21, it poured and we drained for 50 minutes. Added 40lbs of salt. That nighted added Another bottle of conditioner and 9lbs of CH. Somewhere in here I am missing a bottle of conditioner bc I know we put in a total of 3 bottles. Last night added more Ch. and today it rained like you-know-what for about an hour.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.