Sand Filter Replacement - What Size?

May 24, 2009
NoVA
Well, my Hayward filter self-destructed yesterday - it blew out along about a 10 inch crack about a third of the way down from the top. Looks like a catastrophic pressure vessel failure!

My question is, how big a filter do I need to replace it with? The label on the old one long since became unreadable.

Pool size: 36,000 gal. gunite w/ light bather load.
Pump: 1 hp Hayward SuperPump
Plumbing: 2" w/ no water features

The Hayward S220T w/ 250 lbs. of sand will provide a 2X turnover in 24 hrs., according to the charts at the Hayward site. Is that enough?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hank

Hey,

Welcome to the forum. Without doing any calculations, I would like to see the filter just a little bigger. GPM's become very important in the pump/filter relationship,

Assuming your pump puts out about 70-80 gpm, you would do very well with a filter that's rated for 100gpm+.

You literally cannot get one too big but you can easily get one too small. There's lot's of advantages to a little extra capacity in the filter and lot's of disadvantages in one too small.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.