SLAMing for 2 days and still very cloudy...

Jun 27, 2014
Boston, MA
I am a TFP follower and used this method the last 2 years. Opened pool(very green) this year and followed SLAM procedure. Had a few incidents (hose popped off overnight, hose leak etc. etc.) which caused delayed opening but finally got things looking good. Water was not crystal clear, but was decent for my sons birthday party. I then unfortunately went an extra day without checking Chlorine levels and before I knew it we had cloudy, slightly greenish water. Started SLAM yesterday morning. My CYA level just before SLAM was about 30. I ran out of CYA testing liquid (already ordered more), so I'm assuming it's still about same level until I get the new stuff. I am using bleach for chlorine. I actually went quite high yesterday (close to 20ppm) with chlorine hoping to get control of this. I had been keeping solar cover on pool to help maintain chlorine, but removed it this morning as we've been noticing lots of the bubble pieces showing up in the skimmer. Last night the green tint was gone but it was very cloudy still. I brushed it good this morning and now at end of day it is just (if not more) cloudy than last night. I have seen no progress at all today. Just checked chlorine and it went down to about 9ppm this afternoon (from about 16ppm just a couple hours ago...in the direct sun all day), but I just added more chlorine to bring it back up.
We have the DE filter with the fingers and use the cellulose in place of DE. Last year when we had a hard time cleaning up pool we learned how to take the filter apart and really clean the fingers out good (not just bump it, but hose it off well). We have done this at least 6 times this season hoping to get crystal clear water quickly, but it's just not working. I just replaced the cellulose again this morning hoping that would help out.
I'm trying to be patient, but was hoping for at least some results from SLAM of 2 full days.
I use the TF-100 kit. TA is about 70-80. Calcium is low. pH before shock at 7.2.
Any ideas?

Also pump on 24/7

Based on your description I looks like you just need to give the chlorine (bleach) more time to do its job. Your SLAM is still very new (2 days) and can easily take a week or more. The length of your SLAM is dependent upon your diligence in maintaining the FC level of "12", brushing, vacuuming, etc. IN the end, it still takes time. Consistency is more important that increasing the FC level higher than the SLAM level for your CYA. Hang in there and give it time. With consistent maintenance you might be all clear by the 4th holiday. Good luck!

It will take time to filter all the dead algae out. Keep the slam going, keep brushing, and keep vacuuming. Vacuum before you brush and try to move slowly so you don't stir up too much debris. Brush the pool after vacuuming. When you brush you loosen the dead algae so it can be picked up by the filter. You're stirring up everything that has settled on the floor and walls of the pool, so it looks worse after brushing, but you are helping to get rid of the debris when you do this.

Update...
full 6 days of SLAM now. Pool is better but still not fully clear. I've passed OCCT, and CC is at 0.5 and kept chlorine levels at or above SLAM the entire time. Fully cleaned (as in taken apart and sprayed with cleaner and hose) filter 3 times (including replacing cellulose) in the past 6 days. Been vaccuming everyday after work since Monday. Bump to redistribute cellulose on days that filter is not taken apart.
So while it is better, I"m still pretty disappointed at how slow this is going. Debating on trying something like flocculation????
Everyday I come home I can see some dark spots (I assume dead algae) on the bottom of pool which we vacuum up. Not a lot, but some.

I would hold-off on any supplemental products just yet. Dark spots concern though me because dead algae shouldn't necessarily be dark like that. Do those dark spots come-off easily? It sounds like you're doing a great job maintaining the filter, so the focus now must remain on chemistry and brushing everywhere. Have we already discussed steps/ladders? Your pool is only a couple years old, but algae can/will hide in the tiniest places - even the rungs/steps of ladders. Maybe next time go ahead and post your FC, CC, and CYA for us.

Update!!!! So last night I went out and bought some clarifier. Added that and some polyquat last night. Got up early this morning and pool was a little better but still a bit cloudy. I gave it a good brushing, then bumped and replaced DE. Also took off solar cover for the day to get the chlorine levels back down so we could use the pool this weekend. Well not sure exactly what did it, but when I got home today after work pool looks spectacular. Basically crystal clear..I can't believe it. I know folks on here are not big on clarifier, but I am now a believer. Everyday of SLAM had just a mild impact daily, the clarifier/polyquat combo made a HUGE impact in less than 24 hours.

You might want to do a thorough deep cleaning on the sand now as many clarifiers have products that can effect the sand's consistency. You can see more on the TFP Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter page. Now remember to always ensure your FC stays around your FC target zone based on your CYA. Have a great weekend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.