Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach price - too good to be true?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach price - too good to be true?

We stopped at Save-A-Lot (a lot like Aldi's) tonight and found bleach for $1.39 for a 96oz jug. Is that too good to be true? I read not to shop at the dollar stores, but is this one ok?

They also had baking soda for .49 a lb.
    27' round AG, sand, Ohio, well water, 19,000 gallons approx., New owners to the pool.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach price - too good to be true?

Yes, Aldi's is a good place to purchase bleach. A year ago the 96 oz jugs were $0.99.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah the 96oz of walmarts UB is at a 1.52 been watching it to come down, but so far hasn't. So I just been buying the 172oz for 2.54.
    *~ Laura ~*
    27x52 Aquasphere Conquest AGP (approx.17,100 gal)
    1 HP Pentair Dynamo Pump & SD-40 Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    BBB User- Salt Added

4. Back To Top    #4

Just be very careful. We purchased some bleach from Menards (like Home Depot/Lowes - regionally) at what we thought was a very good price - Chlorox. Anyway, it was OLD bleach and yes it does get old/lose it's potency if not properly stored. 6 big jugs of very weak, almost water strength fluid, Lesson learned. I will stick with the Walmart Ultra Bleach when I need to shock, thank you very much.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

5. Back To Top    #5

You can buy a couple of jugs, and test them out. Test 30 minutes after adding the bleach and if you didn't hit your target or goal, it's a good possibility the bleach has either lost strength or isn't as strong as the label indicates.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com