Aquabot Elite, Dolphin Premier or 300i (active 30i)

Aug 29, 2013
Hi all:
I currently have a Dolphin DX4 that has done a great job cleaning my large L shaped pool. I have no trees within miles but lots of dust from neighboring farms and a whole lot of wind. Last summer at the end, we had a major storm and the power supply with the caddy was blown into the pool. Wouldn't turn on but after sitting a long time, got the power to go on. Great. Put the unit in this summer and the cleaner moved a few feet, climbed a wall and then stopped. I took the cleaner apart and there was nothing jamming it up. Screwed it all back together, took it out to try it out and now the power supply won't turn on. So, I don't know if there is 1. anything wrong with the actual cleaner and maybe it was the power supply the whole time or 2. if both the power supply and cleaner are toast. So. I am looking at replacing with either the Aquabot Elite, Dolphin Premier or the 300i. I love the idea of the multi basket with the 300i but can't find a local dealer that has it and can't find much online. I need the cleaner before 2 parties next Saturday and Monday as well. So, any advice you all have would be great. I have a vinyl liner if that helps make recommendations. Thanks.
Trish

My guess is the power supply is malfunctioning. Have you reached out to Maytronics to see what a me power supply would cost? Have you tried to take it to a Maytronics repair center to diagnose the problem?

I took it to one of their authorized service dealers and they said they couldn't even work on it without starting a new dealer application form to even call them to get parts. AND they sell them! They said Maytronics is really difficult to deal with but their stuff works which is the only reason they sell it. It was weird that the power supply was working fine and when I went to troubleshooting on the site, it said if it moved a foot or more and then stopped, that it was most likely something jammed in the drive train. I opened it completely up and there isn't much to it and there wasn't anything. By the time I get it to a dealer, pay for service etc. I might be better just getting a new unit or might play with this one as a backup. I bought it on craigslist last year for only 400.00 so it lasted a good season. It's just frustrating.

The robot is meant to be underwater, the power supply is not. If you got the power supply to turn on after being submerged that doesn't mean it was functioning properly. Odds are a new power supply will solve your problem.

This place has power supplies for around $200, Robotic Pool Cleaner Replacement Parts | Marina Pool Spa & Patio.

I would say the power supply is the #1 cause of failure since it was blown into the pool. They are not meant to get wet much less submerged.

I would guess so as well except it did power the thing and move it and then stop. The troubleshooting page addressed that exact movement and said motor or something jammed. I hate to spend 200-300 on a power unit if it also needs a new motor etc. So at this point, we may play with this one and try to fix it but also get a new one. I appreciate the opinions on the power supply and will probably order one of those and see. But in the meantime, anyone have opinions of the 3 cleaners above and where people have found the 300i? Thanks.

I would guess so as well except it did power the thing and move it and then stop. The troubleshooting page addressed that exact movement and said motor or something jammed. I hate to spend 200-300 on a power unit if it also needs a new motor etc. So at this point, we may play with this one and try to fix it but also get a new one. I appreciate the opinions on the power supply and will probably order one of those and see. But in the meantime, anyone have opinions of the 3 cleaners above and where people have found the 300i? Thanks.

The move and stop is not isolated to one issue. It could easily be the power unit. As for the s-series machines, I've had the S300 for a couple of months and couldn't be happier. It's much easier to clean than my previous Dolphin Diagnostic and has very effective coverage on the entire pool. It's also light enough for my wife not to complain.

From someone who has gone thru 3 power supplies for his Dolphin DX4.....

This could easily be a faulty power supply unit, as ours had the exact same symptoms...cured with a new power supply. So far...since keeping the DX4 power supply/caddie covered, I've only had it happen a couple of times. (Obviously, I'm not too keen on Maytronics' power supplies for these units...you'd think they could be designed to remain outdoors in the elements).

From someone who has gone thru 3 power supplies for his Dolphin DX4.....

This could easily be a faulty power supply unit, as ours had the exact same symptoms...cured with a new power supply. So far...since keeping the DX4 power supply/caddie covered, I've only had it happen a couple of times. (Obviously, I'm not too keen on Maytronics' power supplies for these units...you'd think they could be designed to remain outdoors in the elements).

Exactly! I mean, they ARE for use by water. Ugh. Good to know about this. We have a pretty big pool and wouldn't mind a new unit and to keep this as a back up. So I will get on it. I wish I knew someone locally who had the same unit so I could try their power supply.

- - - Updated - - -

Can I ask where you purchased your 300? There are no local dealers who have them and the closest is 170 miles away (I have a message into them). Thanks.

Can I ask where you purchased your 300? There are no local dealers who have them and the closest is 170 miles away (I have a message into them). Thanks.

Im in AL and no one had the s300i locally. I just ordered the s300i from Atlas pools in Atlanta today. Should get it Wednesday.....so excited! May be worth giving them a call. I spoke to:

Bryan Geraldino
Atlas Pools
770-451-3700 ext 211

He was very helpful

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I posted the original question and thought I would report back on my purchase and if I am happy etc. I ended up purchasing the Aquabot Elite. The top loading filter cartridges and the longer warranty than the 300i was the decision for me. I have a large L shaped pool (exact dimensions unsure of but 40+' on the long part of the L). At first i wasn't sure that I was going to keep the unit (bought it on poolbots.com and could exchange or return within 30 days. At first it would take several cycles to get my entire pool clean despite setting it in different areas. I kept with it though and I am happy to say that I couldn't be happier with this pool bot. It seems to have "learned" my pool and my pool has never looked so good.

Things I love:
Cartridges top loading for cleaning.
First of all, I don't have a tree for quite a distance as I live adjacent to farmland on 2 sides and acreages on the others So I have to clean these almost never. In fact, I have never filled them up but clean them occasionally just to do it. They snap out and back in and you can even take them out while the unit is in the water. They are also clear plastic on top so you can see if you have debris in the filters.
That alone and not having to deal with stuffing in large leaf bags is enough to make me love it. They open fully up so washing out is a breeze and you get every bug easily out of there (my only real issues are dirt and bugs).

Anti-swivel cord.
Haven't had a twisted cord yet. Why all bots don't incorporate this is beyond me. It's not like it's difficult technologically.

Control Panel
Very easy to figure out and you can set a cleaning schedule if you want or type of cleaning etc.

Wall climbing
Does a great job climbing and cleaning.

Cleaning ability
My pool is crystal clear and gets every corner. I would say it could do the stairs better but I'm being a little picky there.

Overall, the salesman from Poolbots was very helpful in talking me through the pros and cons and getting one to me quickly. I know there aren't lot of reviews on this particular unit so thought I would put it out there.
Trish

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.