Newly Filled Saltwater Pool Needs??

Hey ya'all.
I just had my pool resurfaced, and it's filling up now. I need to get salt, and other chemicals to get it going. I did this one time before, when I painted it, and went to local chain pool store. I feel like I probably paid way to much, and maybe was sold things I didn't need. So, Im trying to get an idea of what I should really get, and any cheaper routes than a pool store, as I know they mark their stuff way up.
I filled pool with city water. Im in Boynton Beach, FL is that matters to anyone.
I have a Hayward salt generator.
I believe based on my pool size I need about 14 40lb bags of salt.
What else?
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP!

What was it resurfaced with? Plaster, quartz, pebble? Who is the manufacturer? Usually it is recommended to wait 30 days before adding salt. Did your installer leave directions? Who is responsible for the first 30 days start up?

Please take a few moments to complete the following information so that we can better help you.
Please add your State to your location in your profile so that it shows up over there <-----. Like mine says TX.
Please add your pool info to your signature as shown here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Thank you Pooldv, I editted my profile just now.
Diamond brite put on today. I just texted him to ask about salt, and he said wait a few weeks, and start it with chlorine. So in that case, how much chlorine do I need? I never used chlorine in my pool before.
I am responsible for start up.
Also, what are popular/good testers?
Thank you.

I use the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net, it is the best value with the most tests for the money. Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Ok, ask your contractor if there is anything you need to do to for any warranty requirements.

Here is what SGM wants
http://www.sgm.cc/html_Pool/HomeOwners/startup-waterchemistry.html

Go here to register your warranty
http://sgm.smod.us/smodMain.php?sys=pub&pub=wif2

They want stabilizer and chlorine added the 3rd day. Add 30 ppm CYA (in a sock) and 3 ppm the 3rd day, start chlorinating based on 30 ppm, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], keep it above minimum. I'd raise CYA to 50 after 2 weeks.

... I never used chlorine in my pool before...

Yes you have, the SWG creates chlorine from the salt (salt is made up of sodium and chlorine). By adding it manually, you are doing the same thing as the SWG does but without the electricity required to break the chlorine from the sodium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.