Major Accident...torn vinyl liner. Freaking out!

sark76

Jun 3, 2015
Secaucus, NJ
Our dog fell in our landlords pool today and she ripped the liner just above and below the water lvl.....mostly above the water the water lvl and it happened to be in the corner....this was a very old liner (1994) so i'm sure the age and dryness of the liner had a lot to do with the fact that it tore so easily and so wide. In your guys opinion....if cosmetics are not important and since the tear is mainly above the water line...can this be fixed without replacing the entire liner...even though it should really be completely replace at this point anyway? Please help! I'm freaking out... I don't have a extra $2K for a new liner!
20160626_154035_zpshbecn3zr.jpg

We want to keep a good relationship with our landlord and she is a great person, I just don't think she can process that since the liner is 22 years old that we wouldn't be completely responsible for a whole new liner. I really just need to know if this can be patched. I would even to be willing to split the cost of a whole new liner with my landlord, but she isn't going to see it that way...not out of taking advantage, it just not the way she would process this logically in her thought process.

I built my own pool and installed my liner myself, so I am familiar with handling the liner.

Others can chime in, but here is how I would fix it:
1) Do some searches for repairing a torn liner. Make sure you watch some videos too.
2) Buy the supplies (use a clear patch to hide it) Something like this:http://www.intheswim.com/p/vinyl-liner-patch-kit
3) Drop the water level several inches below the tear to give you room to work.
4) Pour near boiling water on the vinyl to soften it up to make it easy to work with. (Note: this advice was from the vinyl manufacturer of our liner.) Also, so that the brittle liner does not crack more and fall apart.
5) Carefully remove the liner bead from the liner track with some screwdrivers
6) Put the patch kit in the back to hide the patch. Carefully apply the patch kit to make sure the entire pattern is back in the correct place
7) Apply some if this on the front to hide the cracks: https://www.amazon.com/EZ-PATCH-28-CLEAR-REPAIR-SEALANT/dp/B004YLLEG0
8) Wait until everything sets up (24 hours or more)
9) Again, pour near boiling water on the vinyl to soften it up to make it easy to work with.
10) Put the liner back in the track.
11) Fill the pool back to the correct level

You need to be honest and upfront with your landlord. It's her house, her pool and your dog that did the damage irrespective of the age of the liner. If you come clean about what happened, then you guys can work out a settlement on how to pay for a new liner if that's what she wants to do. Perhaps she can front the cost of a new liner and you can pay it off in installments.

But, to avoid further damage to liner and to the internal pool walls and floor, that hole needs to be patched ASAP or the water level needs to be dropped a little to keep water from getting behind d the liner. This is your foremost concern because you want to avoid any further damage to the pool. Call in a pool service company if you have to but get that hole sealed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to be honest and upfront with your landlord. It's her house, her pool and your dog that did the damage irrespective of the age of the liner. If you come clean about what happened, then you guys can work out a settlement on how to pay for a new liner if that's what she wants to do. Perhaps she can front the cost of a new liner and you can pay it off in installments.

But, to avoid further damage to liner and to the internal pool walls and floor, that hole needs to be patched ASAP or the water level needs to be dropped a little to keep water from getting behind d the liner. This is your foremost concern because you want to avoid any further damage to the pool. Call in a pool service company if you have to but get that hole sealed up.

+1 for this response from JoyfulNoise. Being upfront separates the good guys from the rest.

Oh OF COURSE! We were honest! We would never never get out of something that was our fault by being dishonest! I lowered the water level to below the tear and we aready told out landlord that we would be willing to pay for the entire relining of the pool up front then work the rest out with her with our rent....but if this can be patched for the time being...untill we can save up better for a new liner, a patch if doable would be the best option for our situation.

You're a good tenant and it sounds like you have a fantastic landlord. Not everyone has such a great relationship. We have tons of vinyl owners here. Along with Davejavu's initial guidance, I suspect you'll see some other ideas that may help you salvage that corner until a more long-term solution can be achieved. Good luck!

That needs to be patched asap.

A pool full of water puts a lot of stress on the sides of the pool and any tear in it will pregressively get worse very quickly, due to the weight of the water pulling on it.

It may be repairable or not.. no way to know until the attempt is made.

Thanks everyone...I guess we just need to do it to find out if it works...Just like Obamacare right? :p....haha hopefully not. we will see, I have a guy who all he does is patch and repair pools coming over tonight...I guess I'll have an update in a few days whether it worked or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.