New fill slightly cloudy spa

dndrich

Silver Supporter
Apr 19, 2015
Sebastopol, CA
Poolpals:

Love this site. I have been using the professional test kit and chlorine method in my pool as advocated on this site for a few years, and could not be happier. My pool is gorgeous, easy to maintain, and crystal clear.

So, I have decided to try the methods in this site for my spa. I have a 350 gallon fiberglass Marquis above ground 418 model with two pumps, paper filters, and an ozonator. The spa comes with a place for bromine cartridges, but I have never been satisfied with my ability to maintain the spa. So, using the instructions on this site I have decided to go with chlorine. First, I drained the spa and cleaned it a bit with fresh water, no soap. Then filled with excellent local tap water, and two new paper cartridge filters. I put in dichlor to 10 ppm after adjusting pH slightly. Total alkalinity is a bit high at 110, but not bad. Water was clear. That was yesterday. Today water has very slight cloudiness, free chlorine of 3, pH 7.8 or so, and no free chloramines. I have put in more diclor to increase free chlorine to say 13 or so and will check again tomorrow. Temperature is 102 in the water.

Now, I recognize spas are different than pools, but with no free chloramines and a clear start, why does the water have a slight cloudy appearance? My plan is to add dichlor again the next time, and that should get my CYA up to around 30, which is what is recommended for spas on this site. I will then sanitize with bleach. Thoughts here?

yep, all that gunk in the pipes from bromine, it really is nasty... I am not sure how you are with starting over but an ahh-some cleaning will help immensely and kind of groos you out :)

Amazon.com : Ahh-Some Hot Tub/Jetted Bath Plumbing Jet Cleaner (2 oz) : Bathroom Cleaners : Office Products

once you get CYA to 30 you can kick it up to SLAM level for a week or so and it should kill everything in there or at least most of it...

I got a 6oz tub of ahh-some after reading about it on here to use in both our jetted tub and hot tub that are in the house we just purchased. I did the tub over the weekend and you are right, it is pretty gross to think about all that stuff in the bath water.

I will be doing the hot tub when I fill it and test it to make sure it is in proper working condition.

Interestingly, after following the guidelines for using chlorine, and getting the CYA up to about 30, after a few days, the water is now crystal clear and delightful. I did not need to use ahh-some, at least not yet. I have been using the spa and adding liquid bleach per instructions, and it has never been better. I love this site!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.