Pool Light GFCI tripping

Jun 23, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Hi all,

Over the last few weeks, my pool light GFCI had been tripping after about 5 minutes of the light being on. Today I replaced the gasket and also confirmed there's no water in the housing. When I tested the light after replacing and securing the gasket, the GFCI is tripping as soon as the switch for the pool light is turned on. If helpful, attached is a picture of the GFCI box — it's the grey one in the middle. So, thoughts on what I should I do next? What other pictures/info would be helpful for figuring out what's going on?

Thanks.

Matt

Attachments

• 20160626_121552.jpg
    20160626_121552.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 46
More for the folks watching at home the funny box on the top left is your pool light junction box, where the cord from the back of your light fixture terminates.

From the symptoms you describe my thought is that there is either a problem with your fixture or the light bulb in your fixture.

First I would go back to the fixture (after turning off the power at the breaker) and this time remove the bulb and inspect both the bulb and the fixture itself. look for pitting or burn marks. If its ok replace the bulb and the gasket. While you have it out look at the back of the fixture. Look for cracks or separation where the cord joins the fixture.

Try and see if it operates without the GFCI tripping.

If the GFCI trips I would look in the J box and inspect for problems and tighten all connections.

If that doesn't work I would probably replace the fixture. But wait a couple days someone on here might have a better plan.

Looks like the older American Products fixture, looks exactly the same to mine that is tripping. No water in it, but it's causing the GFCI to trip.

I checked your other thread — how were you able to diagnose your tripping issue to the fixture? Also, two years back the light was on for a while when the pool was being drained and there was no water covering it. Then it went off by itself. It did work fine after that, but I wonder if that did some permanent damage to the fixture that is only now manifesting itself.

I suspect that the light went off when it was out of the water because of a thermal protection it may have built in to protect it from getting too hot. GFCI's trip when there is an imbalance of current flow out of the GFCI and back to it on the neutral wire. water in a fixture is only one avenue in a pool light that could cause the problem. A compromised wire in the conduit could do it too. A good electrician could Megger the line and determine if it is at fault.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.