Trying it your way...

Jun 25, 2016
Arab al.
So we've had our pool 6 years, vinyl, above ground, 24' round, 12000 gal. My husband has somehow kept it clear for years by floating Walmart 3" tablets, throwing in baking soda occasionally, and putting in a couple packs of Walmart shock every other week or so. Never tested anything. So startup this year I decide to start taking care of the pool. I take sample to pool store..its just been a mess all season. I have test strips and a 3 way kit, but fic level only goes to 10. I have a yellow algae problem. I did pool math best I could figure out yesterday. Stabilizer was way high, drained about a foot and replaced and added a gallon of liquid bleach. How can I tell if I'm keeping chlorine levels up high enough with this test strip? And how long? New to liquid bleach use. Help..I'm about ready to call a bulldozer.
Teresa

Welcome to TFP!

You really need one of the recommended test kits. Either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. Accept no substitutes. The money spent on the test kit will more than pay itself back in knowing exactly what is going on in your pool.

Test strips go bad in only a few months, and pool store testing is notoriously bad.

As you have noted, the 3 way kit leaves a lot to be desired. More than a few people have trouble matching colors.

At the top of every page here is a link to Pool School. You should start with the "before you post" section, so you know what info we'd like to see in your forum signature, along with some of the forum lingo.

We are more than willing to get your pool into an easy to care for condition.

Hi Theresa,
welcome to TFP!

unfortunately, the test strips are not going to work well for you. At best, they are only somewhat of an indicator.

You really should get a good test kit. We recommend the tF100, it has everything you need and enough test regents to last a couple of seasons. Refills can be ordered too. Its available at http://www.tftestkits.com and on Amazon.

If you go for the test kit, then while waiting for it to arrive, I recommend to read the ABC's of pool chemistry to famiarize yourself how one water parameter or chemical effects another. Just click the pool school button, and go from there.

Can't figure out how to start a new thread, but would like to say thanks. I got my test kit, tf100, and my pool is clear as a bell, after a severe case of mustard algae! My cya is still a little high at 80, so trying to stay at 9 for FC. Ph is 7.8, TA is 110, FC was 4 today and CC is 0.5. I added the recommended bleach to raise free chlorine. I'm getting the hang of this and I can't believe how beautifully clear my pool is. Thank u so much! So my question is how much bleach can I daily add to maintain a ph if 9 without having to do the Chlorine drop test?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 44
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.