Trouble in Paradise

marthas_ear

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2009
Texas (Central)
OMG- There is a hairline fracture in the gelcoat of the pool that was just installed.
There was dirt in it from the final grade on Friday and I looked horrified at what appeared to be a crack at the junction of the wall and floor in the shallow end. After looking carefully with mask and snorkel, I confirmed at 3-4 inch crack. I am pretty sure the water is leaking there as we have had rains and I wondered why I didn't have to run water out.
Has anyone heard of this happening to a fiberglass pool?
I hope it will be fixed under warranty. Can it be repaired? Do they have to rip it out?
Empty the water?
This is horrible. They just got their last check on Friday.
Am I the only person this has happened to?
HELP?

Re: Trouble in Paradise-Leisure Pool

Thanks for your assurance.
I am hopeful that it will be easily repaired.
Still haven't gotten them to assess the damage.
It really looks like a rock got in the backfill sand.
Starburst pattern, more than hairline crack after one week.
All and all, I am mostly happy with the installation.
I understand it is really difficult to not get rocks in the wrong place in Central Texas.
Now, I hear that is a reason fiberglass pools are not that common here.

Okay, the assessed damage is that it is not leaking water...and repair will occur after this weekend.
Whether they will have to empty the fiberglass shell or not remains up in the air.
Good news is that it still works and I finally got the PH down and chemicals balanced.

Awww Martha...that just stinks. I know they are fixing it and all, but I am sorry you have to go through all this when you should be enjoying your pool. Was it a big rock that caused the damage?
I hope they got all the big ones out from around our Leisure pool now. Good luck and keep us posted.
Kim

Still waiting for repair...but that is okay since I don't want to miss one day of swimming now it is close to 100!
The biggest challenge so far is our well water is alkaline...so we fill it and the PH skyrockets.
I add the expensive dry acid and it hardly lowers it at all.
Am considering using ma--- surely I can manage to not splash it all over the place.
I am hesitant for some reason, since it seems like "real" acid.
The FC levels seem to be easy to control with SWG...but PH is challenge when we have to add well water and we have no rain.
Have been keeping the CYA low...
I wonder if we should reduce the pump running - it is now 10hrs...got to get my test kit out and post my results.

I AM enjoying the pool- still waiting for crack to be fixed, but the relief is - it no big deal...
its just this is busy time at the factory and the fiberglass guys are making 'em, not being released to repair 'em!
I think we are do for our first backwash of DE filter...another milestone.
So far, nothing is as much "trouble" as I feared....
Definitely more on plus side than downside of the total experience.
Did I mention I live in Texas and it is 100 degrees outside LOL

Martha,
Could you maybe post a pic of the crack. I want to make sure I don't miss something on my FG install.
Thanks

Paradise Found

I don't think the fracture would even show up with an underwater camera!
Places to check are around the molded steps and where wall joins floor.
:lol: The happy ending is this...
we couldn't bear to miss a day of swimming this summer, so we put off the repair for 3 months.

the repair is amazing! Gelcoat finish matches perfectly.
The crack was only in surface and did not penetrate exterior shell.
I would recommend the fiberglass Leisure Pools without hesitation.
The product is flawless as far as I can tell. Easy to repair, easy to maintain- a joy to splash around in.
Good-looking finish.
Find yourselves a reputable installer though...when you get shells the size of ours-34 ft.
Moving it around can be cumbersome and unwieldy.
So happy with our pool.
Thank you all @ TFP for support, education and stories.
Will post photos of landscaping soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Had to start from scratch...mistake adding CYA

What can I do after my partner added the CYA to pool and it is not dissolving...he forgot it is added to skimmer.
Can I vacuum it through skimmer?
Side vacuum okay?

We were up til 10 PM having water put back in pool and he just dumped the CYA into water with salt...

Martha -

I'm interested to see/hear how your repair goes. We're putting in a fiberglass here in the upstate of SC in the spring. After a lot of shopping around we decided to go with either a Leisure or Barrier Reef as they have the best reputation for gel coats. Apparently they repair to look brand new if needed. We are getting quotes from builders for both brands but I bet we end up with Barrier. Only because their plant is here in SC and Leisure's is in TX (near you). Due to shipping cost differences we can probably put in a 38 X 15 Barrier for the same price as a 34 X 15 Leisure.

Do you have the Moroccan? What color get coat?

Alysen

Martha-When swimming Sat in our pool I noticed a hairline crack from the top of the coping all the way to the water line. I also notice another small crack in the shallow end, also starting at the coping. What did they use to repair your crack and was it done by Leisure pool themselves? I am in Ontario Canada and our repair would have to be done by our installer and we are their first Leisure pool install (they have 10 yrs of doing San Juan). I can fit my pinky fingernail into the crack. I am so bummed I thought these gel coats were supposed to last. 2 months in and we have 2 cracks. Our installer is coming out to look at it this week.

CountryKim - Keep us updated on your repair as well. From what I've read if your gel coat is cracking so early on it is most likely an installation issue. In any case, I have also read that Leisure gel coats repair to look like new.

Happy Camper- was Trouble in Paradise

About a month ago, the pool company came and made the repair and it is as good as new.
I fell and broke my wrist July 5th - so I have been offline awhile.
The crack was indeed in the surface.
My Moroccan fiberglass shell is finished with a new gel coat color: Gold Coast-
you can not tell at all.
The only down side was that the 17,000 gallons had to be emptied out for the repair.
IMHO a crack in gelcoat should be a simple repair by the professionals...it is a matter of matching the gelcoat.
Leisure Pools has been a great company- great customer service and great product.

Sorry to hear about your wrist...owch.

So the installer came out and looked and we agree that he will come back in the spring and repair the cracks. The cracks are just in the gel coat so he said it will be ok over winter. Also I guess if there is more cracking (I hope not) then all the cracks can be repaired. We are lucky and the cracks are somewhat near the surface so we won't have to drain the entire pool.

Uggg how can it be we are looking at closing the pool already. Where'd the "summer" go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.