Is SWG bad for the heater?

dannieboiz

Jan 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
I left for a few days and had the pool green up on me so I decided to get the chlorine automated. I really like the idea of a SWG since I won't have to worry about dragging chlorine around. I read about rust concerns in SW pool and the only thing I can see that's stainless is the lights and screws in the pool. BUt more importantly the water heater. How do I know if my water heater can handle the salt?

Hi Danniboiz,
pool heaters normally have stainless or copper pipes. Neither is especially suceptible to saltwater. Especially at the low concentration of our pools. Lots of people here have heaters and SWGs and I dont belive Ive ever read a post about a problem with them together.

The most important thing for you to worry about however, is your pH. Poor pH will eat up a heater in a relatively short amount of time.

Poor pH management is the main cause of heaters corroding, not salt. As long as your SWG is plumbed in AFTER the heater, you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With those above comments, a SWG is a good choice? Are there better brands than other? I see brand name, Hayward etc... that cost sometime twice of those that aren't the main stream brands. The cell alone cost as much as a new unit of a In the Swim brand for an example. For my 20k ish gallon pool, should I get a 25k or a 40k generator?

We recommend the SWG be at least 1.5x the size of the pool. The larger the cell, the less hard it has to work to make x amount of chlorine, which means the larger cell will last longer before needing replaced.

The cost difference between a 20 and 40K unit is not all that much, so I would say go for the 40 if you can spring for the price difference.

Hayward is likely the most popular brand. Its easy to operate and has the less expensive replacement cells and easy for anyone to replace a board if its needed.

Pentair and Jandy area also very good brands. I have a pentair and I like it, but the replacement cells are very expensive. Someday, I'll have to pay out the nose for a replacement cell. Pentair has all of the electronics built into the cell, which is why its so expensive.

I dont have any personal experiece with a Jandy....

Divin Dave said:
The most important thing for you to worry about however, is your pH. Poor pH will eat up a heater in a relatively short amount of time.

JoyfulNoise said:
Poor pH management is the main cause of heaters corroding, not salt.

+1 to both of these and adding for emphasis.

I don't normally pile on when good advice is given, but there seems to be a spike in misinformation about corrosion and SWGs lately. Not sure if it's coming from pool builders, pool stores, or wherever. Therefore, adding emphasis that low pH will ruin a heater faster than anything salt alone could ever do.

Thanks for the response so far.... based on the info given, I think if I went with a SWG I should invest in an acid doser of some kind?

If you maintain a lower TA level (60-80) as TFP recommends, your acid usage won't be very high. Acid dosing can work well but it's also another piece of equipment to maintain and repair. The plastic lines on those systems need frequent replacement. I would see how your pH responds after adding the SWG and living with it for a while before even considering an acid dosing system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.