Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I closed my pool for the first year without a leaf mesh net.

Startup went fine, but I opened very early in the season, I think I shocked with leaves still in it and I was left with a green stain. It has gotten a little thinner but nothing I do will get rid of it, shocking didn't help, maintaining high chlorine didn't help, I rubbed on Orange on it and nothing, magic eraser.

Not sure what to try next.‎

CYA puck placed on the stain for 3-5mins.
If it doesn't budge could be somebody dropped an penny in there and you have a copper stain.
Use some Vitamin C pills in a sock and rub the area.

Some recommend going the VitC route first as the CYA puck is acidic as well and may indicate false inorganic stains

It was from a pile of leaves, there is copper in leaves?
I was reading from above posts where I mentioned there was a possibility a penny may have been thrown in the pool.
No there is no measurable trace minerals in organic debris to cause a metal type stain.

Dry acids can work on organic stains but you're likely to see better results from a tri-chlor puck or raising FC in the pool for a while - neither of these tests have worked for you?

I was reading from above posts where I mentioned there was a possibility a penny may have been thrown in the pool.
No there is no measurable trace minerals in organic debris to cause a metal type stain.

Dry acids can work on organic stains but you're likely to see better results from a tri-chlor puck or raising FC in the pool for a while - neither of these tests have worked for you?

Definitely no penny.

While the temperature was still cold in the season and not much sun, I hadn't realized the chlorinator was set to 100% for an easy 2 weeks. So my FC was easily in the 15-18 range and it didn't help much, although the green stain lightened a little.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.