Pump went out - thinking about a Variable speed pump

Aug 3, 2015
San Antonio
I took some people's advice on here when I asked about continuing coverage for my homeowners warranty and was told it isn't worth the$120/year. So i discontinued coverage and Murphy's law kicked in and pump fried 2 weeks later. Lol

I am considering A Pentair Intelliflow 2 and it's not cheap, but there are $700 in electricity and mfr rebates so it puts the pricewithin a few hundred dollars of the standard pump.

Has anyone installed the Intelliflow 2 or other VS pumps?

Any feedback?

Is anyone getting any real savings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More info....
Inground 12,000 gallon.
Cartridge filter
Currently 1 hp pump
With 3/4 booster for Polaris.

74443a5465761541916bd26cecde9c3b.jpg

Matt - There was a replacement thread just a week or so ago where the owner compared the watts used at specific flow rates and - per his tests - he was using 80% less power. I can't imagine that would be the case for every pool owner, but it is certainly true that there will be some noticeable consumption differential. If I can find it again, I'll link it to this post.

Matt - There was a replacement thread just a week or so ago where the owner compared the watts used at specific flow rates and - per his tests - he was using 80% less power. I can't imagine that would be the case for every pool owner, but it is certainly true that there will be some noticeable consumption differential. If I can find it again, I'll link it to this post.

Thanks, I did a keyword search and figured someone has discussed this but couldn't find on Tapatalk.

Man if you can get those types of rebates, I say go for it. I have the standard 3HP Intelliflo and absolutely love the thing. - Consider putting a surge protector on it too -

The features offered in the VS pumps IMO, are added value beyond the electric savings. And one of the most awesome things is that the VS is sooo quiet. Its so quiet in fact, that if I didnt know better, I would say that from 20 ft away from it, that it was turned off.

As for the light bill I will tell you my experience. I run my pump 20hrs a day (just because I want my pool spotless), and my electic to run it is about 18$ a month. My pump uses 246W of power running at 1500 RPM.

VS pumps are a high power DC motor with a computer control built in. They are very sensitive to power surges. I actually installed two whole house type surge protectors. One larger one at my main service panel, that protects all my electronics, and a smaller one on my pool sub panel just for extra protection on the pump circuit. The cost of both was under $150, and installation was easy. Cheap protection for all your household electronics.

Another tidbit I noticed. I have been running at 90* pool temp. Now that my hot pump is out it is about 4-5 degrees cooler. I don't know if my pump was running hot but it would sizzle if you spit on it. Was that the pump heat or the stratification ?

Stratification I would think. Any time my pump kicks on after being off for a time, I see a few degree change as the water mixes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Stratification I would think. Any time my pump kicks on after being off for a time, I see a few degree change as the water mixes.

Well the pump has been in and the temp has been stabilized at about 5 degrees less than where it was with the old pump. I am thinking that it was because my old pump was running so hot the it was heating the water just a little tidbit. I thought that was interesting. My pump was running so hot in 100 degree weather that if you spit on the pump you would get a sizzle. This one runs so cool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.