Pool just doesnt seem to stay blue...help please!

Jun 26, 2016
Warren NJ
Hi all - I'm a new pool owner and just got my pool opened a couple of weeks ago. The previous owners had not taken good care of the in-ground outdoor 6000 gal pool and it was a LOT of cleanup work to start off (was basically a swamp). After lots of leaf scooping, shocking and backwashing - I'm finally at a place where the water is clear.

what's happened the past few days:
- After repeated shocking of up to 3 lb per day, the chlorine levels were basically non existent (all other readings were good).
- I took a sample to the local pool store on Friday and they advised that I had a phosphate problem because of the amount of hose water added and advised me to use No Phos and leave the filter running overnight
- I woke up to a fantastic blue looking pool on Saturday, although slightly cloudy on the deep end. I shocked again.
- 3 hours later, again chlorine levels were non existent. The pool store said I needed to add stabilizer, which I did, and shocked again. Finally I started to see chlorine levels holding up.

This morning, the good news is that the Chlorine levels have held up. But the pool is no longer the deep blue as it was post the phosphate. It's more teal (not green). Is this OK? Should I be worried that it's not fully blue and is more blue/green (teal)?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

This site can teach you how to care for your pool. But, you need to do a bit of reading and re-reading. The pool $tore exists by taking money from your wallet and padding their bank account. Start by reading Pool School. You have an algae problem that will be somewhat masked with Phos Free. You will need to buy the recommended test kit and then do a SLAM.

If you stick with this site, you will save a boatload of money and have the best pool water in town.

Welcome to TFP. There's some great articles here for self-maintaining your pool, but all of them are based on the premise that you MUST have a professional quality test kit: Taylor K2006 or TF-100 TFTestkit (my preferred).

To best help, members will want to see your most recent test results along with your post. Also, please add your pool details as best you may know into your post and/or forum signature, so that the advice your offered is most relevant. For example, I have a saltwater pool so chemical levels are different. :cool:

You have already been offered the very best advise possible: stay out of the pool store. Either from poor training or some other motivation, the products offered to you in the pool store will only offer modest, temporary relief... guaranteeing you & your wallet another trip to the pool store. There have been some SWAMPY, NASTY pools come to TFP that are now supermodels. Let's do this!!

Thank you, you have motivated me, Let's do this! I will order the testing kit and take it from there.

Meanwhile, do you think the pool is safe for the kids since she Chlorine levels seem OK now? or should I wait until I get everything sorted?

Welcome to TFP. There's some great articles here for self-maintaining your pool, but all of them are based on the premise that you MUST have a professional quality test kit: Taylor K2006 or TF-100 TFTestkit (my preferred).

To best help, members will want to see your most recent test results along with your post. Also, please add your pool details as best you may know into your post and/or forum signature, so that the advice your offered is most relevant. For example, I have a saltwater pool so chemical levels are different. :cool:

You have already been offered the very best advise possible: stay out of the pool store. Either from poor training or some other motivation, the products offered to you in the pool store will only offer modest, temporary relief... guaranteeing you & your wallet another trip to the pool store. There have been some SWAMPY, NASTY pools come to TFP that are now supermodels. Let's do this!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Dave, I just joined the forum buy can already feel the support. I will start with Pool School.

This site can teach you how to care for your pool. But, you need to do a bit of reading and re-reading. The pool $tore exists by taking money from your wallet and padding their bank account. Start by reading Pool School. You have an algae problem that will be somewhat masked with Phos Free. You will need to buy the recommended test kit and then do a SLAM.

If you stick with this site, you will save a boatload of money and have the best pool water in town.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.