Problem with Jandy power center

Jun 13, 2011
I have a Jandy power center/pad and SWG system (1400) that was installed in 2006. When I went to put the system in service mode this morning and attempted to turn on the pump, cleaner, or any other features using the buttons on the control panel, I heard a metallic click and the feature failed to turn on. I've unscrewed the control panel to look at the SWG controller and noticed that the LCD display is blank and the power light is off. Any idea what the problem would be?

EDIT - I forgot to mention that the lights above the buttons on the front panel turn on when I attempt to turn a feature on using the front panel buttons while in service mode, but the feature doesn't turn on, just the sound of a loud metallic click but nothing else.

I've had issues with questionable pool service folks in the past and could use a referral for a reliable, honest pool service tech in the North East DFW area (Allen/Frisco/McKinney).

fwiw, I've learned so much from this site. The information here is worth it's weight in gold.

Thanks in advance!

Check for a tripped breaker in your breaker panel.

The automation is usually on a separate breaker. The power to the pump is usually from a 240 breaker to the relay in the box. The pump, swg and booster relay are connected to the load side of the relay. Since the relay sounds like it's closing, there's probably no power going into the relay.

Does it operate normally in auto?

Have you made any updates to it since it was installed?

Doesn't run in auto, nor can I turn it on with the PDA.

No updates either.

Check for a tripped breaker in your breaker panel.

The automation is usually on a separate breaker. The power to the pump is usually from a 240 breaker to the relay in the box. The pump, swg and booster relay are connected to the load side of the relay. Since the relay sounds like it's closing, there's probably no power going into the relay.

I forgot to mention that the lights on each feature on the front panel turn on when I attempt to turn them on using the front panel buttons while in service mode, but the feature doesn't turn on, just the sound of a loud metallic click but nothing else.

I reset the breakers before posting. No change, the features still won't turn on either in service mode, auto, or manually using the PDA.

The lights just mean that the system has closed the relay. Check for 240 going into and out of the relay. The relay has 4 connection points. 1 and 3 are line in and 2 and 4 are load out. Check voltage between 1 and 3 and 2 and 4.

Note: The two top wires are the low voltage signal that energizes the coil. The bottom 4 points are the high voltage carriers. 1 closes to 2 and three closes to 4. If you're not getting voltage to 1 and 3, it's the supply ( breaker or other switch). If you're getting voltage to 1 and 3, but not 2 and 4, then it's either a bad relay or bad low voltage signal.

Since it sounds like the relay is closing, the signal voltage is probably ok.

Don't know about local techs. Double check the breakers.

If you know a good electrician, they could do this if necessary.

Are you referring to the breakers in the main electrical panel or are there breakers of some kind in the Jandy power panel?

fwiw.....I've reset the breakers in the electrical power panel.

You're probably going to need a service person to help.

If you can post pictures of the circuit breakers, circuit breaker panel labels and the power center with the front cover off, we might be able to see something.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I found the problem. And yes, it was a power issue. A breaker was bad and a tripped GFI on an outlet were the culprits.

I attempted to use one of the electrical outlets that the pool company installed in the backyard past the far end of the pool and the GFI outlet was tripped. These outlets were installed by the pool company (Robertson Pools in Dallas) in the grass around the periphery of the deck on our 40'x20' to to ensure we'd have access to electricity when we needed it without having to run extension cords everywhere. I reset it the GFI, now it works.

Why that GFI outlet was installed that way is beyond me. Then again, considering the problems I had with builder along with other still unresolved issues with cracked coping that was never replaced, it doesn't surprise me.

Thanks again for your help. Once I reset the GFI the lightbulb went off and I started thinking "hmmm.....I wonder if? :D

That is a fairly standard way to wire. The receptacle near the pool is required by the code and must be GFCI protected. But they need GFCI protected power for the lights and some other items. So rather than put a GFCI protected outlet by the equipment pad and running the wire from it they put the GFCI in the required receptacle and run twice the wire out to the GFCI. I'm not sayn it makes sense but that is standard procedure with some pool companies.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.