Control Heater Remotely

Aug 21, 2014
Wendell, ID
I've got a Jandy LXi 400N heater and the Aqualink Z4 controller.

The control panel for the Z4 I had moved away from the equipment so we can control it all closer to the pool. The problem is that the control of the heat was never wired up to the controller. So in order to change the heat I have to go back to the heater and change it there.

But that's only part of the problem. Because the controller doesn't know when the heater is or isn't running it will shut down the pumps before the heater has sufficient time to cool off. Last year this caused the heater to melt the plastic headers on each side of the heater. It looks like it may be happening again this year. So I would really like to get this wired up.

Can anyone help explain how to make this work. I've looked over the manuals of both units and from what I can see I have to run wire from pins 1 and 2 on the green terminal bar on the Z4 to the Pool and Comm pins on the LXi 400N and turn on the REMOTE in the service mode of the heater.

Well, I've done this, but it doesn't appear to work. When I change the heat setting with the controller it doesn't change the heater behavior.

Any suggestions?

So you wired it up to the heater, set the heaters temp all the way up on the unit and then you put it in remote mode and you can't turn the unit on from the Z4 if you set the temp higher than what the current water temp is? Also, do you have the water temp sensor installed on the Z4?

You only need to set one temp on the heater. The automation system will control the rest. And you have the water temp sensor installed for the automation?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.