Top 10 Essential Pool Items

Jun 23, 2016
Millville, NJ
So, I've signed a contract to have a pool built as of last week. I'm in it for the long haul. I want to start accumulating the necessities so I don't have to go out the weekend before filling to get everything. By the way, it is an 18 1/2'x42' saltwater inground pool with spa. Also, recommendations for brands would also be helpful.

Here's my list so far:
1. Test Kit
2. Brush
3. Expandable pole

I also started another thread on the actual build process and I'll be sure to include lots of pictures over there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will want multiple expandable poles, one for each head.

I also have one fairly long non-expanding pole that I keep my brush on. Now, as I have a finite pool this is a stainless steel brush and is "heavy duty". I keep,this close by all the time as something I can use to pull a swimmer in distress without getting in the water. Think,of the big hooks most commercial pools have on the wall for an emergency.

Looking at brushes, look at the Wall Whale

You need a net, maybe 2 a flat one and an expanding one

While thinking a about the poles, where will you store them. Many put hooks,on a fence or wall

Where will you store chemicals? I use a horizontal Rubbermaid plastic dock box.

Esloser

Check with your pool builder first, mine provided a complete tool and chemical setup. No use in purchasing duplicates, my pool builder provided very good tools and all I really needed to add was a good test kit and a better leaf net. As tim5055 noted extra poles makes things easier and faster.

Keith

A lot of times, the PB will supply a starter kit that includes the basics like pole, vacuum head, vacuum hose, brush and a useless test kit. Try those (except for the test kit) and upgrade what you don't like.

Here are some of my favorites:
- Pool Rake
- Hair Nets for my skimmers to pre-filter debris
- A robotic vacuum (mine is a Hayward Tiger Shark)
- Laboratory bent tip squeeze bottle for collecting pool water and helping with precision measurements
- Fluid Aquatics pool noodles These are really SO nice for drifting around in the pool. So much better than the cheap hard foam noodles. Get 'em while you can at Costco.
- Taylor SpeedStir
- Pool Blaster Fusion is really nice for quick cleanup vacuuming
- A Tasty Cheap Buzz

CPR Class ~ you will never realize the importance of that class until it's needed; I hope you never have to realize it. If you have a pool in your backyard CPR Training for you and the family should sit at the very top of the essentials list.

As far as "stuff"
The Test Kit and Speed Stir I think are mandatory.
If you have a Sam's Club local
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/150-gal-deck-box/prod8340178.ip
Mine came with lifetime warranty, they have now been reduced to 2 years, but in 5 years I haven't had a problem with them and they get full sun all summer and anything winter throws at them in Pennsylvania ~ I don't put them in the shed to winter. They look like they did the day I brought them home. They have not faded or warped. And they are high enough that you can use them "buffet style" if necessary for larger gathers.

I have a pole for vac and a pole for brush&net.
Spa tubing, I use that for hoses and now as port of entry to deep clean my sand bed in the filter so I don't disrupt the laterals.
Dedicated 2 gallon bucket and 5 gallon bucket for pool only.
My tool box has all my tools for pool only, lube, teflon tape, plugs, clamps.
Poles and inflatables have a dedicated part of yard fence that they are secured to. Some folks use a PVC stand for their inflatables, but we bungee them to the fence as we have very high winds.
Pair of girls/women's tights, some use a tube sock ~ I use a pair each year to introduce my granular CYA to the pool, I have a small bungee I attach to the pair of tights to place it in front of the return to let it disperse. This keeps the product off the pool bottom.

This year I am getting a "leaf cover" have fought the winter cover long enough (winds), so I am trying something new to see how it works out.

I am not a fan of pre-buying a bunch of stuff. I grew up with a pool so covered the basics; poles, vac, net, brush, found this lace ordered the kit and speed stir. We purchased and implemented as we went along and found out what we were into.

You can get by with one pole, it's just easier to have the brush hooked up and the vac on it's own. I will sometimes leave the vac in sucking from the bottom while a brush.

As far as starter "chemicals"
You will need either liquid or granular stabilizer/ water conditioner
Liquid Chlorine/ Plain Old No Frills Household Bleach And a cool dark dry place for storage.
You may need a couple other things as well but results from the test kit make that determination.

Pool Builder will likely bring start up chemicals, pole and you might also end up with a vac head that fits your skimmer (the two have to match).
Definitely talk to your pool builder ask them what is included, or break out the paperwork and see it may be listed.

As far as pool start up goes talk to them prior to letting them/ agreeing to adding whatever it is they use for startup.
Run it by the folks here. They will let you know if it's cool or if you need to try and ask for that part of the sale to be refunded.
From there they will talk to you about the quantities you need to get it started if you will be doing it on your own (it will be easy so nothing to fret about if that's what they advise).

Not sure if they (Pool Builder) are trucking in the water or if that is something you will need to handle/ coordinate with the finishing of the build, start looking around now for water suppliers. Around here getting a water truck can take a bit and prices vary like you would not believe. In our area we have pool water vendors and we have fire stations who will deliver. You may have more options than what is advertised or what you have been told about so ask folks you know that have pools, if you know no one start calling around. Our locals here will also tell us when we need a truck ask the neighbors if they need water too everyone saves on the costs. We also have a firehouse who will draw it from the local lake and bring it in for a donation to their firehouse. If money is tight or someone has CYA that has gotten away from them, or they can't fill from their hose that's a very nice option as well. Lots of options with water, but I know for us scheduling is involved so you may want to look into that in advance.

Thanks for taking the time to write all that. My house is on city water so will probably be filling from both hose bibs with two hoses. Would also probably be cheaper than trucking it in.

Also, it's good to know what questions I should be asking the PB. They are including a Hayward Phantom pool cleaner, but not sure about brush, skimmer (net), salt, or other start-up chemicals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rural King, Tractor Supply, Lowe's, Home Depot, Local Hardware Stores, sometimes they all carry liquid chlorine. Just need to check the date (it can be Julian Calendar dating) and check the price. I don't know what you have in your area but we have several places to look when we need liquid chlorine here. It does pay to look around a bit. It won't be long until you start seeing the bottles, realizing it's at a decent price & then looking for a date code. That's just one of those things that happen owning a pool.

In addition to the "leaf rake" which is the big net you scoop stuff off the bottom with, its also good to have a skimmer net to netting floaties off teh top of the water.

you also ABSOLUTELY MUST have a margarita making machine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.