Foam Bottom Pool Liner wrinkle and loose spot

jzcop

May 12, 2015
fairfield, nj
Hi everyone, just a question to put out. i finished install on my 15x30 54 inch pool steel wall. I installed a 1 inch extruded foam board 4x8 sheets taped at the seems as the base. Its pretty good except for the dirt showing up at the seam areas when it settles to the bottom. After three weeks, i noticed a wrinkle spot about a foot long not far from the wedding cake steps and on the side near the return and skimmer. It looks like a slight wrinkle blister and when i walk on this area, the liner appears loose on the bottom in that one spot only. Not sure if this is stretching or something else underneath in between the liner and foam board like air or water pocket. We havent had any rain since before install and fill and the ground has been really dry. Any thoughts would be appreciated.Pool Liner Wrinkle.jpg

one of the foam boards may have come apart a little, I also have a couple wrinkles in the bottom, I just let it go :) has not hurt anything..

Great looking pool and install!!

i was also concerned that this spot on the floor appears loose as you move the wrinkle with your feet and what would cause this.

Ok so I just finished installing ours about 2 weeks ago. I used the 3/4" tongue and groove extruded foam panels, triple taped seams with gorilla tape brand duct tape and foam cove . When we started filling it there were a few areas where we noticed the liner was floating up even with several inches of water in it. They were air pockets. Had to get down on hands and knees and use our arms to work the air to the edge so it could escape. A few kept trying to creep back but finally we got them all over to the side.

With the foam and seams all taped and cove taped down there is no where for the air to go except to the sides so it is very possible that you have an air pocket that got trapped. The water weight is enough to keep it down but there might be enough to air is still trapped to and might be why it feels squishy.

Overall the bottom is perfectly smooth but I am also noticing a few more wrinkles. Initially there was one that I happened across once it was too late to work it out. Now there are three total but all in different areas around thd bottom. I still wonder if the smooth foam allows for just enough movement for things to shift when it gets warm and people are moving about. Hence why I posed that question in another thread about wrinkles on bottom with foam vs sand bottom. The water feels a lot warmer on the bottom closer to the dark liner than the top so it has to be absorbing the heat which would make to more pliable and able to shift some.

I guess it's just the nature of the beast having that smooooooth pool bottom.

I think a rolling pin or some type of a roller might work to move the air to the side. Just have to take it slow as I'd be concerned about stretching the liner out more and if it would shrink back any at all.
We did use a shopvac to pull the air out while filling but it obviously wasn't powerful enough. Luckily we were able to work the air pockets out before too much water was in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.