How can I clean my Hayward Sand filter?

May 15, 2009
I just replaced the sand in my Hayward S166T 2 weeks ago, but I had an algae problem at the beginning of the season and my sand is really dirty.

Even though I backwash and rinse there is still debris in my filter.

I read somewhere how you can put a garden hose in the filter and let it run until all of the water comes out clean. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

I found that post and performed the instructions.

I will say this as a word of advice for anyone!!!!

Never ... ever ... ever have a Birch tree anywhere near your pool. It wastes your time, and will never give you peace! :lol:

I cleaned my filter per the instructions in the referenced post, and THOUSANDS of tiny Birch seeds came pouring out. I knew they were falling because I've been cleaning my skimmer 3 times a day, but these things are so small they can get through the holes in your skimmer basket and pump skimmer basket and go straight to your filter. Backwashing doesn't remove them, and you are left with the task of removing your pump head and cleaning your filter manually.

Seriously, from one Birch tree I've literally spent 1 hour a day skimming the surface with a catch net and cleaning my skimmer baskets. I had no idea that these things made it to your filter and weren't removed by standard Backwashing.

That tree is coming down tomorrow.

Sorry for the rant! :rant:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.