Planning piping and questions. Now with Pics!

mcoonan

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 1, 2008
Mendota Heights, MN
New pool on its way, planning on putting plumbing underground.
Plans call for 2" pipe to and from pool, aprox 65' each way.
Can I use the 2" irrigation pipe instead of Sc40 PVC?
Will I lose a lot of heat by going undergroud?
Landscaper is coming on Tues to level and expand pool area.
I will take pics and post the entire process.

Re: Planning piping and questions.

You want to use pipe with at least the pressure rating and chemical resistance of schedule 40 PVC. In practice, the other acceptable kinds of pipe end up costing much more and aren't worth considering.

Heat is not an issue. You lose so much heat through the surface of the pool that the underground pipes hardly matter.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Thanks Jason, the piping that I am looking at is the 2" polyethylene irrigation pipe rated at 100 PSI http://www.charterplastics.com/pdf/non-nsf-pe-idr.pdf. I worked out that it will save me aprox 10 joints. After purchasing 1 new pool at $675.00 (ya, I know that is really cheap, but it is the pool only no pump or acc.), 1- Jandy 3-way @$25.00, 3-Jandy 2-way valves @$101.85 and 2 Jandy check valves @$50.00 and assorted couplings @$127.00,
the DW :thequeen: would apreciate any cost and time savings. (Not to mention the cost of the landscaping and 28' X 24' of pavers installed for $3200.00) This "small" project had turned into a monster :elephant:

Well landscaper is on his way, he has agreed to dig the trenches for my plumbing (I hate to dig with a shovel!). How deep should I go, I do plan on blowing out the lines every winter.
Also, do I need to put gravel under the piping? I have seen it both with and without gravel.
Thanks,
Mike

I would really stick with Sched 40 2" PVC. It is designed for all the pressure and stresses associated with the pressures. Really, how much are you saving?

I can get the PVC in 20 foot lenghts here so that can lower your number of joints. Besides once you get going on gluing the joints it is really no big deal. Just purple prime clean them and then use the CORRECT glue for 2" sched 40 PVC. The can will tell you exactly what size and type of pipe it is good for.

You do not need to add gravel in the trench. It can be directly buried in the trench.

Two feet deep should be plenty for the plumbing. Any less than 1 foot and you could have someone hitting it with a shovel while planting flowers in the future.

Well it turned out that the PVC was actually $30 cheaper than the irriagtion pipe, so I went with that. Got 1/2 of it done tonight, before a fire call. Possible structure fire, smoke visable in the building (Vol. FF 28 yrs) Dropped everything and ran to the SUV, SUV would not start, jumped on bicycle and peddled to the Fire Hall, still beat alot of the other FF there. Turned out to be a heating pad that smoked up the building. O'well, just have to finish the plumbing in the AM before work. Landscaper wants plumbing in before doing any more work. They got the pool area leveled and the patio area staked out.
Will try and post pics in AM, to late to try tonight.

Man life has just got me running ragged! Computer systems down all over the state, car fires, house fires, kids b-days..... Anyway I promised some pics:
http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss119/mcoonan/Pool/ to view all. Here are just a few:
Before landscaping Old plumbing hanging on the fence and you can see the old location of the solar panels on the hill.
DSCF7623_edited.jpg

DSCF7624_edited.jpg

Future pump location:
DSCF7625_edited.jpg

DSCF7677_edited.jpg

Future solar panel location:
DSCF7626_edited.jpg

Plumbing and wiring done (almost):
DSCF7679_edited.jpg

I will continue to post as the project continues!
Mike

So, landscaping done (will post later no pics yet). Now have question/need opinion on plumbing layout.
Here is my design complex:
Plumbinglayout.jpg

Here is my design simple:
PlumbinglayoutSimple.jpg

What do you think? Which one should I do?
Here is my Solar Setup, panels will be angled left side lower than right to allow for drainage.
SolarSetup.jpg

Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would use the "Simple" setup you posted. I don't see the point of having the extra stuff shown in the "Complex" one. The extra tees and valves seem redundant to me. I have a similar setup to yours and mine is the way you Simple one is. I can do everything I've needed to.

P.S. Are you going to put in a vacuum breaker?
P.P.S. Get the third panel(as per your sig. asks) I have three 2x20 panels and they work well for me. I'd rather have too much heat or cooling(day or night) and have to turn it off than not enough and be in a cold pool.

Adam

Oops, I forgot to update my sig, I did buy the 3 panel. It shows up in the solar plan. I think that the vacum breaker and vacum relief valve are one in the same, if you look at the top panel in the solar setup pic, I have a vacum relief valve at the top right side of the top panel.
Mike

Normally, a check valve is also placed on the return solar near the pad to prevent filling when the solar is off. Currently, if the solar valve is off, the return pipe will fill backwards to the vacuum release and a little beyond which is usually not a good idea. The water will heat up, assuming it is hot outside, and in extreme cases could soften the PVC pipe. The check valve also acts as an isolation valve in case you need to work on the panels while the pump is running. Also, sometimes installers will place ball valves on both the supply and return lines to get true isolation although this is usually not required.

Finally updated pics
The solar panels:
DSCN0928.jpg

The Pump Setup:
DSCN0929.jpg

The Pool 1:
DSCN0930.jpg

The Pool 2:
DSCN0931.jpg

Pool view from back door:
DSCN0935.jpg

Bathing Babe: :-D
DSCN0940.jpg

Been lotsa hard work. Had an issue with one of the solar panels, some how a large v-shaped cut got into one of the headers, had to find something that would stick to the poly, found Powe-R Patch at Menards and that seems to be working fine! Now for the the electrical work, will be putting in a GFI circuit with a timer so no more extension cord and no more running out at night to turn the pump off. And will have to replace the piece of siding that I busted out. Oops!
After finishing up with that, will be attempting to install a skimmer in the pool, cannot wait to make that 1st cut in the new pool :shock:
Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.